Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

On the verge of losing my credit.

Hi,

im new to the forums, and i woiuld appreciate some feedback.

I live in Florida. and i am 40k in CC debt. After much thought i might stop paying my credit cards and take the hit because its too stressful.

Now, i own my house (its mobile home, and the land). The tittle is under my mom and I. 

If i do decide to stop paying my CCs can they go after my house? 

my car is not fully paid. therefore i am not worried about that.

any help is appreciated.

sorry for the typos... im in a bit of a pickle.

thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: On the verge of losing my credit.

Welcome to the forums!

How many cards and what are the balances? Are they still open, or have they been closed? Anything in collections or delinquent?  Do you have any means to catch up? Saving your credit can be a good  choice if possible - but bankruptcy is another option. I believe that in some types of bankruptcy you can keep your house,, but I could be wrong.

Starting EQ 553 TU 541 Jan2017
Current EQ 679 TU 680 EX 687
Goal: 680 ATB
Super Contributor

sugarmonkey wrote:

Hi,

im new to the forums, and i woiuld appreciate some feedback.

I live in Florida. and i am 40k in CC debt. After much thought i might stop paying my credit cards and take the hit because its too stressful.

Now, i own my house (its mobile home, and the land). The tittle is under my mom and I. 

If i do decide to stop paying my CCs can they go after my house? 

my car is not fully paid. therefore i am not worried about that.

any help is appreciated.

sorry for the typos... im in a bit of a pickle.

thanks

You should consult a Florida bankruptcy lawyer.

FICO8 EQ 780 TU 762 EX 784 FICO5 EQ 722 Total revolving 410500
Community Leader
Epic Contributor

I concur with SouthJamaica.

You need review of your entire credit file along with all assets, income, etc, which includes info beyond your credit report.

I would seek advice from either a BK attorney or a competent credit counseling service to ensure a comprehensive review of all options.

Established Member

If I were in your predicament I would continue to pay my bills while I consult a BK attorney to determine my options. I would also look into making my home a homestead to protect against any judegements or leins. Mobile homes should be allowed the homestead protection in FL. Bring this up wen you converse with attorney and do some of your own research on homesteading to protect that asset. I had one person I took to court and put lein on their property. They wanted to turn into homestead which meant I could no longer have the lein or go after their property due to the homestead act.

Frequent Contributor

Im not sure this situation is sustainable for the OP.  If bk is an option, i would stop paying everything now and just save the money to settle the debts for 30-50% on the dollar.

This is what i would do but everyone is different.

svergie90 wrote:

If I were in your predicament I would continue to pay my bills while I consult a BK attorney to determine my options. I would also look into making my home a homestead to protect against any judegements or leins. Mobile homes should be allowed the homestead protection in FL. Bring this up wen you converse with attorney and do some of your own research on homesteading to protect that asset. I had one person I took to court and put lein on their property. They wanted to turn into homestead which meant I could no longer have the lein or go after their property due to the homestead act.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.