Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Disputes versus Credit Repair Companies

tag
nbsiddiq
Established Member

Online Disputes versus Credit Repair Companies

Can someone please tell me how the online dispute process works.  I recently disputed items on the Transunion and Experian websites.  What is the law when it comes to disputing items?  I recently read that if the agencies do not respond within a certain time frame, they are mandated to remove inaccurate information.

I chose to do it myself instead of paying $500 to some credit repair agency.  Your information would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Online Disputes versus Credit Repair Companies

When you dispute with the CRAs, if the creditor does not verify an account within the allotted time, yes it can be deleted.  However, if, down the line, the creditor or anyone that holds the debt verifies, then it can be reinserted provided the CRAs certify that the debt is accurate.  If that happens you need to be notified within 5 days of the reinsertion.

If the debt is inaccurate, it is always better to do a direct dispute directly with the creditor instead of the CRA.

Message 2 of 5
nbsiddiq
Established Member

How do I direct dispute? Do you have experience with this yourself? If so, please share.

Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If you look above to guiness's siggy, there is a blue link that has Direct Disputes in it that has examples and explanations.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you dispute via a CRA, it is a two-step process.

The CRA is required to forward a copy of your dispute along with "all relevant information" provided by the consumer to the furnisher of the disputed information.

The furnisher is then required to conduct a "reasonable investigation" and forward their results back to the CRA, who then conducts their own "reinvestigation" of the accuracy.

The CRA must conclude their reinvestigation within 30 days of filing of the dispute (unless the consumer has provided additional info after first filing of their dispute, which would extend the reinvestigation period to 45 days).

The CRA reinvestigation period is fixed, and cannot be extended.  The CRA makes the sole and final determination of the outcome of the dispute, but will almost invariably rubber-stamp a verification received by the furnisher, as they usually have no other independent information to contradict the finding of the furnisher.

Technically, the CRA, and not the furnisher, makes any final verification of accuracy.

The CRA must then forward their Notice of Results of Reinvestigation to the consumer within 5 business days after conclusion of their reinvestigation period.

That is the formal document that concludes the dispute.

An online dispute is a special case of a CRA dispute that I do not recommend.  The online process restricts the consumer from inclusion of actual supporting documentation, and thus effectively results in the consumer sanitizing their own dispute.  Other than the convenience of a quick dispute, it has more disadvantages than advantages.

If you send a dispute directly to the furnisher, which is permitted unless thte dispute relates fo consumer personal identification information, credit inquiries, or public record information, then the CRA is totally out of the process.  A direct dispute ensures that all information is received by the furnisher, and cuts out any possible sanitation of the information provvided by the consumer, which is commonly done by a CRA by use of its e-Oscar process to forward any documentation to the furnisher.

The CFPB recently annnounced that it is cracking down on the CRA e-Oscar process by requiring the CRA fo forward all information to the furnisher, but it is yet to be seen how that will actually be complied with by the CRAs.  A direct dispute ensures no CRA sanitation.

The funrisher must then send their Notice of Results of Investigation of any direct dispute to the consumer within the same period required of a CRA to complete its reinvestigation, which is normally 30 days from date of filing of the dispute, plus 5 business days thereafter.

If you use a credit repair organiization in preparation or filing of any direct dispute, even so far as to use a form provided by them, the furnisher can dismiss the direct dispute without any need for investigation.  CROs are exempted from any participation in the direct dispute process.

Thus, if you wish to take advantage of the direct dispute process, you are wise not to involve a CRO.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.