cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only have one cc and student loan payment....suggestions?

tag
ninjacookies
Valued Member

Only have one cc and student loan payment....suggestions?

Trying to get my score up over 700 and towards the 800 mark.  Scores were last hovering around 620-640, but that was before I had 4 huge outstanding collections and negative accounts deleted.  So should be much higher now, but not sure by how much.

Anyhow, I have a good credit history length, but I currently only have one open credit card (1k limit) with my credit union, and a 14k student loan (200 dollar monthly payments).

My CC utilization is always under 9% monthly, but I was wondering if opening up any new lines of credit would help me boost my credit score quicker?  Any suggestions on this?  Or would just keeping my single credit card with low utilization be optimal?   I thought about something like a gas card, or something along those lines, but was not sure.

Thanks again!

starting score: 558 3/2010
current scores: TU 674 EQ: 714

Goal: 750+
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Only have one cc and student loan payment....suggestions?

I bet you can hit 800 with what you have, given a clean report and lots of time. IMO, adding another CC won't hurt. Just space the apps between this CC and the last. I made the mistake of adding everything at once, which hurts in the short term. Per CC, a store or gas is good, though any CC would work just as well.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.