Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open credit card closed to purchases

tag
simyengi
New Contributor

Open credit card closed to purchases

Currently in the middle of getting a mortgage. I have a credit card that's being managed by credit management company. It is closed to purchases but is reporting open to the bureaus. I just made a payment that would bring the balance to zero. I'm assuming the account will be reported as PAID IN FULL. How will this impact my score?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Open credit card closed to purchases

@simyengi wrote:

Currently in the middle of getting a mortgage. I have a credit card that's being managed by credit management company. It is closed to purchases but is reporting open to the bureaus. I just made a payment that would bring the balance to zero. I'm assuming the account will be reported as PAID IN FULL. How will this impact my score?

If it remains open and it is your only credit card, there is a good chance your score can go down for reporting 0% UTL

Message 2 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

We'd really need more details about the rest of your credit to begin to guess.  How are the balace and limit reporting for this card?

...and don't overlook the stickies:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Closing-Aged-Accounts-Yes-It-Is-Ok/m-p/15...

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@simyengi wrote:

You need to be very careful with any major changes to your credit profie when you've in underwriting. 

If the account was reporting a credit limit and balance, but is closed after paying, then your revolving utilization will change, and possibly your FICO score.    This all depends on the before / after picture of your revolving utilization.

Almost every creditor that I've seen will close accounts in DMP after they're paid.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
simyengi
New Contributor

Here you go:

Card #1: $851 balance; limit: $2400

Card #2: $20 balance; limit is $250

Card #3: $64 balance: limit is $650 (Capital One just increased limit from $350 to $650)

Card #4: $106 balance; limit is $500

Card just paid off: was $40 balance; $2900 limit

Message 5 of 6
simyengi
New Contributor

BTW, this account have a negative impact in my credit report.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.