cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orchard Bank Secured card - charge-off

tag
towanda

Orchard Bank Secured card - charge-off

I asked this over at the credit card board but haven't gotten any help, so I'll try here.  I am currently working on cleaning up my credit, and sending out GW's and PFD's.  The one thing I am not sure which way to go on is an Orchard Bank Secured card that I had for a few months, and then due to health issues and a loss of job stopped paying on.  It charged off, and the DOLA was July 2006.  It is listed on my credit reports as a charge-off for HSBC and a collection for Portfolio Recovery.  I sent a PFD letter to portfolio a few days ago, and have been pondering how to deal with the HSBC entry.  I figured I would just send them a GW letter after I pay Portfolio, which I will do whether or not they go for the PFD.  Now I am wondering if I should try to try to reinstate the card by offering to pay HSBC back, and then sending a new security deposit to reinstate the card.  I don't really need the card as I have a BofA secured card that I am really happy with, but I figured what the heck, if I could get HSBC to reinstate the card, maybe they would wipe the charge-off, and start reporting it as current. I did call them before I sent the PFD to Portfolio to try to make payment arrangements, and they said I needed to talk to Portfolio.  I didn't ask though if I could reinstate the card.  I know I should just call them and ask about that, but I am just wondering, does anyone know if cards that charge-off ever do that sort of thing?  Do they ever reinstate a charged off card if you pay back the past due, and do they then remove the charge-off and start reporting it as a current card?  Again, I'm not so much interested in having the Orchard Bank secured card, but if it is possble to reinstate it, and if it will get the charge-off off of my reports, I would be happy to do it.  So, has anyone ever done anything like this?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Orchard Bank Secured card - charge-off

if HSBC still hasn't sold the account, paying them and asking for reinstatement is definitely the way to go - even if you don't need the account; even if they just agree to delete.

If HSBC hasn't sold the account, paying them would definitely get rid of the CA.

Message 2 of 3
towanda

Re: Orchard Bank Secured card - charge-off

thanke so much for the response.  I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they sold it.  I assumed they had, as they charged it off, and Portfolio is collecting on it, but I guess that it's possible that Portfolio is just collecting and doesn't own it.  I would prefer to have it reinstated if that will get rid if the charge-off.  thanks again for the help.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.