Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orchard Bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Orchard Bank?

So I wanted another bullet in the chamber to build another positive revolving trade and applied with Orchard, knowing the likelihood was pretty good I'd get approved. That was like 3 weeks ago, before an unexpected amazing points jump due to several factors. Honestly I didn't care that I hadn't heard back because my conditions changed and I can now qualify for a better card, but for giggles I called them. My troubles are over! Wow....$300. I can spend....oh, about 30 bucks to carry  good utilization. Burger King, anyone?  So now that I'm stuck with this thing, my question is this. Does it matter that the limit is so low, or does the utilization carry the most weight no matter the high limit? In other words, even though it's almost useless as a credit line, will carrying a $30 balance on a $300 limit have the same effect as carrying a $300 balance on a $3000 limit? Or....does the formula factor in more than just the percentage of util? My logic tells me that other creditors would see the low limit and determine that I'm automatically subprime. Hopefully I'm wrong. Interested to hear from anyone else who has the low-limit Orchard card and how it has affected your over-all score after....say 6 months of on time payments and low util.
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Eric958
Established Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank?

Man, I was just approved the other day. Same limit! I haven't recieved the card yet but as it was said to me..IT's a start!

Good Luck to ya.
E!

Never Give Up!!
Message 2 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the low-limit card. From what I have seen, low limit cards build into higher-limit cards. CapOne already is about to raise me from $300 to $500 after four months. I'm pretty confident that if nothing comes down the pike to hose my FICO, Orchard will have me at $500 by the end of summer. I had $500 secured with BofA that's about to become $1000 unsecured--took a year, but BofA is prime.

I say get your foot in the door. You may take a brief hit on FICO as your average account age is lowered, but you've got to buy in somewhere if you want to have the several tradelines necessary to establish a seasoned credit history.
Message 3 of 51
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, Orchard is the best rebuilding card out there. I even recommend it to people trying to establish credit.
Message 4 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband got an Orchard card with the $300 limit.  After six months, they raised his limit and I think he is going on 2 years with them and his limit has increased to around $2K.  He has not had a problem with them at all....
Message 5 of 51
Boswd
Valued Contributor

They're affiliated with HSBC right?     I had a Merchant's Bank MC that got charged off and sent to collections that I just recently paid off, but I know that HSBC bought out Merchants Bank some time ago,   I wonder if that would have any affect on me trying to get a secured CC with Orchard.  I have heard good things about them.
Message 6 of 51
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Boswd wrote:
They're affiliated with HSBC right?     I had a Merchant's Bank MC that got charged off and sent to collections that I just recently paid off, but I know that HSBC bought out Merchants Bank some time ago,   I wonder if that would have any affect on me trying to get a secured CC with Orchard.  I have heard good things about them.

Yep.
Message 7 of 51
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Yeah I figured as much.   Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Aspire  or Imagine?
Message 8 of 51
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Aspire is awful! Only card worse is First Premier.
Message 9 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about First Premier, but I know that Aspire has unbelievable fees.  They were sending offers to me all of the time, but I never bit.  Fees are outrageous!!!!
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.