Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order of Operations: CC or Mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Order of Operations: CC or Mortgage

Hello O_Hi!  Best of luck with all this.  Looks like you are getting lots of good advice.

As long as you are not in a huge time crunch with the home purchase, I think you are being really smart by delaying your pull of your myFICO mortgage scores until you get your reports as pretty as possible.  The reason is that every time you pull them it costs money. 

So yes, continue to use Karma and other free tools to watch your reports, get them looking the way you want (balancing that against time) and then pull your mortgage scores.  You can do that for $30.

Karma is great for free EQ/TU reports, but you can also get a free monthly EX report as well:

https://www.creditscore.com/

Message 11 of 18
me12345
Frequent Contributor

I think that you should be ready to go...

FHA rates are NOT score driven, so long as you are at the minimum 640 Mid Score threshold, your rate would be the same as if your score were 800 (the pricing cost would be a little higher, but he rate would be the same)

The real questions is why with all the cash on hand would you want to use a "Down Payment Assistance" program....these are the worst loan options out there, and should ONLY be used when no other source of funds are available.

I would have your MLO do a mortgage pull on your report now it see where you are, it will give you "Peace of mind" or give you time to make "Adjustments" in your scores ....In Arizona you cannot submit an Purchase Contract Offer without a Pre-Qual form, and a mortgage pull is the first step....I think that you are ready to go!

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks,

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 12 of 18
boomhower
Valued Contributor

What price range are you looking at?  Typically with only one open line of credit it is going to make the process harder.  But with a large down payment it can help off set that, how large the down payment is depends on the price of the home. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier in this thread and I just missed it, but when are you planning on applying for a mortgage?  Is this something you're looking to do in the next couple of months or is this a long term plan that's a year or two away?  If it's a year+ away, applying for a CC now isn't a bad move.  If you're going for the mortgage inside that time frame though, I'd say app for the CC afterwards.

Message 14 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys - thank you all for the replies. I am eager to order credit scores but wanted to wait until I was sure my recent payoff payments were being reflected. At my most recent free report, one chargeoff was still showing an outstanding balance due.

The good news is that it just updated on CK and bumped my vantagescore fako by 40 points, from ~680 to ~720. Hopefully that action is approximately representative of FICO behavior as well. Here's the current breakdown of where I stand, only balance is a never-late student loan, though no available revolving credit either. 

https://ibb.co/hd1rpa

Regarding my initial question, I'm less concerned now, since someone posted that FHA rates aren't influenced by credit score. I'm quite sure I can qualify at 720, but just wanted to wait for all the healing actions to go through in hopes of achieving a lower long-term rate. (Why lock in rates the month before you jump 40 points, right?).

I'll give it another week or two and order my reports and scores through myFICO.  I had done this several years ago, but the historic data is no longer viewable in the myFICO account...do you lose all your history once your subscription lapses?

Any other credit maximization advice is greatly appreciated. I believe at this point all I can do is open a CC and keep a low/no balance, correct?

Vantage & FICO scores often behave very differently; so you can't tell a thing from that.

I do believe it would enhance your score and your application to have an active bank card account. So I would move ahead on that.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 18
driftless
Valued Contributor

O-Hi, I would ask a moderator to move this thread to the Mortgage sub-forum.  There are some very good mortgage professionals in that sub-forum who might weigh in on this thread.  Best of luck.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ, do you think that would still be a wise move even if the OP were looking to take on a mortgage in the next several months? 

Message 17 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

SJ, do you think that would still be a wise move even if the OP were looking to take on a mortgage in the next several months? 

I can't say for sure but I do think it would be more of a plus than a minus.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.