Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over 200 point drop in 7 days!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over 200 point drop in 7 days!

I am a little at a lost..checked my Vantage scores with Credit Karma  7 days ago-Score 590 with 15 accounts, 1 collection ( opened 7/10) and 5 inquiries. Checked my scores yesterday-377 with 16 accounts ( one added account as AU), 0 collections (successful pay for delete) and 5 inquiries.  I had the same amount of other "unfortunate" lates ( working on that! Smiley Happy , and my credit usage is at 10% ( the same for both reporting periods)... Any ideas as to why? and why such a biggg drop!!  Thank you...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Over 200 point drop in 7 days!

Vantage scoring is even more confusing than FICO scoring. My spouse had a few negative accounts zeroed out, everything else stayed the same, lost 70 points. 

I wouldn't put much stock in the drop if there are literally no differences other than what you described. It will more than likely correct itself in a few weeks. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a little at a lost..checked my Vantage scores with Credit Karma  7 days ago-Score 590 with 15 accounts, 1 collection ( opened 7/10) and 5 inquiries. Checked my scores yesterday-377 with 16 accounts ( one added account as AU), 0 collections (successful pay for delete) and 5 inquiries.  I had the same amount of other "unfortunate" lates ( working on that! Smiley Happy , and my credit usage is at 10% ( the same for both reporting periods)... Any ideas as to why? and why such a biggg drop!!  Thank you...

CK scores are worthless. Don't even pay attention to them. Get your actual FICO scores from Credit Check Total - 7 day trial for one dollar.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK scores are about 100 pts lower than my Fico8s - and my husband's are over 100 pts apart.   At one point I had a 50 pts drop on CK - when I check Fico* on CCT it was only like 5 pts.......I dont' trust the scores on CK at all - I only use it to follow which accounts are reporting and if something pops up or off my report.   The number on that site just doesnt' make much sense.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vantage is weird. My Vantage TU is 754, Fico 8 TU is 810, a difference of 56 points with the same information on both. But that's not the weird part. My Vantage EQ is 730, Fico 8 EQ is 732, a difference of only 2 points with the same information.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want to rely on CK scores, you will die an early death I tell you.  One time, I logged in and lost 100 points, next time I log in, it goes back up.  Don't pay attention to it.  Just use CK to monitor your report and not the scores...

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for the thoughful and helpful repsonses! 

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a little at a lost..checked my Vantage scores with Credit Karma 

Do you have creditors that acutally use a TU or EQ Vantagescore?

@Anonymous wrote:

7 days ago-Score 590 with 15 accounts, 1 collection ( opened 7/10) and 5 inquiries. Checked my scores yesterday-377 with 16 accounts ( one added account as AU), 0 collections (successful pay for delete) and 5 inquiries.

Deletion of a collection can cause a score drop depending on specifics.  However, one is generally better off without the collection than with regardless of the drop.  That said, 213 does seem like a lot.  However, it really doesn't matter unless you have creditors that use a TU or EQ Vantagescore.  If you want to know what score a creditor will pull for you then you need to know the specific model & CRA and then go pull that specific score.  You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model.  The FICO's your creditors use could be quite different.

Additionally, CK provides 2 scores, not just 1.

@Anonymous wrote:

CK scores are worthless. Don't even pay attention to them. Get your actual FICO scores from Credit Check Total - 7 day trial for one dollar.

Do not rely on oversimplifcations like this and always consider relevance of a model/CRA combo to a given creditor.  There are, for example creditors that use Vantagescores.  However, there's no sense in fretting over them unless one knows for certain that one has creditors that do.

You cannot simply rely on FICO either.  There are many FICO models used by creditors and the specific model will have an impact on the number generated.  Again, consider relevance.  If, for example, a creditor/product uses a TU FICO 4 then an EX FICO 8 will not be relevant.  Only the TU FICO 4 will matter.  Any other model and/or CRA will not.  Do not assume all FICO's to be equvalent.  See also the Undestanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies for info on the various FICO models used by creditors.

FICO 8 is the most commonly used model but it is not used by all creditors and pproducts.

I suggest focusing on report data versus obsessing over specific numbers.

@Anonymous wrote:

My CK scores are about 100 pts lower than my Fico8s - and my husband's are over 100 pts apart.   At one point I had a 50 pts drop on CK - when I check Fico* on CCT it was only like 5 pts.......I dont' trust the scores on CK at all - I only use it to follow which accounts are reporting and if something pops up or off my report.

Vantagescores are not designed to mimic FICO 8 or any other model.  Again, do not use any score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model.  Always understand how to use your tools.  If you want to know what a given score is then you need to pull that specific score.

CCT provides FICO 8's.  A FICO 8 is a FICO 8 (assuming the same CRA).  Any difference in the number is due to a difference in report data when the score was generated.

Be aware that myFICO updates are based on trigger activity and that not all changes with a scoring impact are triggers.

@Anonymous wrote:

But that's not the weird part. My Vantage EQ is 730, Fico 8 EQ is 732, a difference of only 2 points with the same information.

There's anecdotal evidence that even a FICO model can produce different numbers even if CRA data is the same.  I can't speak to the validity of the evidence but it's not a one-off thing and has been discussed in a number threads and on different credit sites.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.