Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Owing taxes 2 years straight

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Owing taxes 2 years straight

Hello all

I have a question in regards to owing taxes to the IRS.  For 2008 we owed money but was unable to pay in full so we opted for the payment plan which we are currently paying.  Reviewing our taxes for 2009 it looks like we are going to owe again.  My question is, can we add what we owe for 2009 to our current payment plan for 2008? 

Thanks in advance

-g 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Owing taxes 2 years straight

Yes you can. Though depending on what you owe, you may have to start paying more.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you are not allowed to do that. I am currently making payments on my 2006 Taxe and get a statement from IRS that says any future taxes owed  must be paid in full and on time. I will add they do allow you to apply for an extension for 90 days so that may help you round up the money to pay what you owe.
Message Edited by wileygo on 01-14-2010 09:31 PM
Message Edited by wileygo on 01-15-2010 09:36 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same experience when we were paying back taxes on an installment plan and had to pay at filing time.  The notice does say that you need to pay all future taxes on time.

How firm the IRS is with that - I don't know. 

I just bit the bullet and paid the taxes and increased withholding too .. ouch.

Message 4 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

my in-laws have 2 or 3 different payment plans.  i would double-check with the irs of course, but i'm sure it will be fine.  i doubt that they are special in any particular way.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think you are not allowed to do that. I am currently making payments on my 2006 Taxe and get a statement from IRS that says any future taxes owed  must be paid in full and on time. I will add they do allow you to apply for an extension for 90 days so that may help you round up the money to pay what you owe.

From experience if you are already on a payment plan and find yourself unable to meet your current tax bill call the IRS. They will work with you. But you must be proactive. If you wait for them to catch up with you they will not be so understanding.

Best of luck,

CB

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.