Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAID/ACCOUNT CHARGE OFF?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PAID/ACCOUNT CHARGE OFF?

Hello! I have a question that I can not seem to find exactly the answer I am looking for. I had a Verizon Cell Phone Account that was started in 1998. I kept the account and went in and out of late payments. I finally dive bombed in 2000 - 2001, which is where I started not making any payments. I am certain that I went into deliquency around that time. The account was charged-off in 2003, but not before I paid the account in full. My credit report from Experian says the status is a "PAID/ACCOUNT CHARGED OFF". Now I know that the date from which the account should be removed is based on the date from which the first non-payment was made. Verizon is saying that since it was charged off in 2003 that is the date from which the counter starts to removal. I disagree and say that it is in 2001. I have disputed numerous times, sent dozens of letters and they refuse to remove. It is the only bad debt left on my report. How do I go about getting it removed? Any ideas?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: PAID/ACCOUNT CHARGE OFF?

I believe it's the date of last activity, which would be 2003.

A FicoSuperPower will be along to verify.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

jazzy1224 wrote:
Hello! I have a question that I can not seem to find exactly the answer I am looking for. I had a Verizon Cell Phone Account that was started in 1998. I kept the account and went in and out of late payments. I finally dive bombed in 2000 - 2001, which is where I started not making any payments. I am certain that I went into deliquency around that time. The account was charged-off in 2003, but not before I paid the account in full. My credit report from Experian says the status is a "PAID/ACCOUNT CHARGED OFF". Now I know that the date from which the account should be removed is based on the date from which the first non-payment was made. Verizon is saying that since it was charged off in 2003 that is the date from which the counter starts to removal. I disagree and say that it is in 2001. I have disputed numerous times, sent dozens of letters and they refuse to remove. It is the only bad debt left on my report. How do I go about getting it removed? Any ideas?

Charged-off accounts: Remain seven years from the date of the initial missed payment that led to the charge off (the original delinquency date), even if payments are later made on the charged-off account.
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=2689

You must get everything in writting!!!!   send them a letter stating that They have willfully changed the (FCRA) commencement date ( FCRA §§ 605(c) and 623(a)(5) - "Commencement of the delinquency).  And that they now have 15 days to remove it from all Credit reporting agencies or you will have your attorney file suit in federal court!  (there is a chance that they will just correct it BUT they might also just delete it!)

Please reword this anyway that you see fit. and someone else might have different advice.

Usually Cell phone  companies do not report. Then turn them over to a CA.

Also file a complaint  www.ftc.gov

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-07-2008 07:19 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-07-2008 07:22 PM
Message 3 of 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Just for clarification, you are saying that at some point in 2000-2001, you no longer made any payments until you PIF'd in 2003... and then the account was charged off??
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.