Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD Breach of Contract - Feedback Please

tag
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

PFD Breach of Contract - Feedback Please

I’m fairly certain I have smoke coming out of my ears right now I’m so angry. Woman Frustrated

My HOA management team and I have been going back and forth for some time regarding a balance on my account that had imploded with fees. They continued taking ever fee they could imagine to it while I was disputing it. Last year they placed it on my credit report and I about died! It has a zero balance and doesn’t appear under the collection category but in the notes it states “Collections” It’s listed under the management teams name but shows my Subdivision as the Creditor.

Long story short we finally settled on what I though was fair and I asked via email “Will this account be removed from my credit once this is paid in full” to which they replied “Once the balance is zero we will remove the credit report.” Fast forward to today and I call for an update to find out that the lady I’d been negotiating with has been let go. The new lady tells me “We can update the bureau but we can’t remove it. It would be up to them.” I call BS but she keeps repeating the same line.

Question: Is my email a legally binding contract? In my line of work this email could easily be used to hold one of my supplier’s feet to the fire if it were about providing a service or material. I just don’t know how that translates in this situation.

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

Re: PFD Breach of Contract - Feedback Please

Whether the reply email is binding is ambiguous unless there was actual paperwork which indicated that satisfaction of payment would result in the removal. The fact is, once a creditor has a collection on your report, you generally are in an inferior position.  They really aren't under any obligation to remove the information so long as its accurate.  Even if it weren't accurate, all they'd be obligated to do is update properly (like she said).  

However.....

You have rights and processes which could (should) be able to have the item removed. The creditor can easily have the item removed, so you are correct in assuming bs on their part. You need to send a certified letter to the creditor with an intent to sue and seek damages citing the email that said they'd have it removed at zero balance. Don't admit fault in the letter. Just state that you paid the account in full just to expedite the process. You can also send a letter directly to each bureau that the collection is reported asking them to do an investigation. Do not fill out an online form and submit to the bureaus; send a physical letter yourself. Usually, if a creditor weighs the cost of man hours digging up the vital information against the actual claim, the creditor will most likely not respond to the investigation and the bureau technically has to remove it within 30 days. If those don't work, there's more you can do. Those are the first and easiest things. Good luck. 

Message 2 of 8
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I'm kinda clear on that end of the spectrum. I guess my main question was "Is an email a legally binding contract"

In any event, I was so frustrated with the lady I spoke with that I contacted the corporate attorney I deal with a lot in my office. His "unofficial and not specific to debt collection" response was that emails can be considered binding as long as there is a clear offer and acceptance. Not sure if I'll even pursue it but I just wanted to know.

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@MaisCher wrote:

I’m fairly certain I have smoke coming out of my ears right now I’m so angry. Woman Frustrated

My HOA management team and I have been going back and forth for some time regarding a balance on my account that had imploded with fees. They continued taking ever fee they could imagine to it while I was disputing it. Last year they placed it on my credit report and I about died! It has a zero balance and doesn’t appear under the collection category but in the notes it states “Collections” It’s listed under the management teams name but shows my Subdivision as the Creditor.

Long story short we finally settled on what I though was fair and I asked via email “Will this account be removed from my credit once this is paid in full” to which they replied “Once the balance is zero we will remove the credit report.” Fast forward to today and I call for an update to find out that the lady I’d been negotiating with has been let go. The new lady tells me “We can update the bureau but we can’t remove it. It would be up to them.” I call BS but she keeps repeating the same line.

Question: Is my email a legally binding contract? In my line of work this email could easily be used to hold one of my supplier’s feet to the fire if it were about providing a service or material. I just don’t know how that translates in this situation.

If you have an email that says they will remove file BBB complaint, if that doesnt get what you want then file complaint with your states AG.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have an issue for the courts.

File a breach of contract action.

Whether or not you have adequate evidence of a contract is entirely up to the judge.

In many cases, the simply filing of a civil action will provide incentive for them to delete.

They have little to gain by going into court, and a lot of time and money to loose.

Message 5 of 8
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

I think that what I'm going to do. I'll file the suit and let the judge decide!

Message 6 of 8
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@MaisCher wrote:

I get where you're coming from, and I understand your anger, but is this a group (the HOA management team) something you will have to deal with in the future?  If so, I'd at least give them the opportunity to straighten it out - as in, allow a few weeks to see how your CR updates after they notify the CRA's - before bringing out the big guns, so to speak.  If you do have to continue to deal with them it's nice to have that in reserve, but I always tend to try the nice approach first and I'd give them an opportunity to do the right thing themselves.  If you're done with them, then by all means go thermonuclear on them.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 8
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

@MaisCher wrote:

I get where you're coming from, and I understand your anger, but is this a group (the HOA management team) something you will have to deal with in the future?  If so, I'd at least give them the opportunity to straighten it out - as in, allow a few weeks to see how your CR updates after they notify the CRA's - before bringing out the big guns, so to speak.  If you do have to continue to deal with them it's nice to have that in reserve, but I always tend to try the nice approach first and I'd give them an opportunity to do the right thing themselves.  If you're done with them, then by all means go thermonuclear on them.  Smiley Very Happy

Nope, will be in my home at least another 2 years and it just so happens they are the management team for the next neighborhood I'm considering building in. I may just reconsider that plan after all this. Technically most of my concerns go through the actual HOA board consisting of my neighbors which I have a great relationship with.There are many complaints about them in our HOA meetings so I did move forward it wouldn't shock or offend anyone. I do understand what you mean and I emailed this a few minutes ago. I'll wait a few weeks to see what happens....

"First, anyone placing information with the three credit bureaus is well within their rights to remove it whenever they see fit. "Fired Employee", acting as a representative for "POS Management Group", entered into an agreement with me and I’m assuming it isn’t your practice to use false or deceptive measures to collect on a debt. Her original email and others that followed provided clear terms to which I accepted making our communication a legally binding contract. I plan to take all measures to ensure it’s enforced as such if this situation is not rectified."

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.