Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD for Court Judgment

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

PFD for Court Judgment

Back in 2004 I was served eviction papers, but vacated the apartment before the court hearing. At the court hearing, the judge order me to pay the back-rent and entered a judgment against me. The landlord's attorney stated that once the back-rent was paid, he would issue "Satisfaction" paperwork with the Court. I wasn't able to make more than a few payments to the landlord's attorney since then, but now I the means to pay off the judgment. I was planning on offering the landlord's attorney 40% of the owed money as a settlement for the "Satisfaction" paperwork, which he was going to present to his client, if the landlord accepts, what wording should I be asking for in the settlement letter? Also, will the judgment remain on my credit file? If so, is it better to suggest a PFD for the 80% to 100% of the balance? How would that work considering that LA Courts issued the Judgment to the CRAs? Or did the attorney file the negative information with the CRAs?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PFD for Court Judgment

the OC  might have had an attorney only for court. I would send PFD to him and offer to pay full amount.  If he accepts, it will be up to him to notify the courthouse to delete.  Make sure that he signs for PFD. and if he runs rentals as a busness ( goodwill apts)  make sure that he accepts and signs on busness letterhead.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in Oregon, and the way it works here is that once the judgment is paid, they satisfy it so that it reports as paid to the CRA's. You must then petition the court to vacate the judgment. I am working on this process now. I started by writing an apology/GW letter to the OC (dentist's office). They called me and told me that they appreciated the letter and that they would support my efforts to vacate the judgment. I then GW'd the CA in order to remove the CR's from the CRA's. If they agree to do that, then I plan to use the responses of both the OC and the CA as support when I petition the judge. I will definitely post the results here, as this is my first official repair attempt since starting on this forum. Would like to hear how others have faired when dealing with judgments, as I think it would help both of us. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Is the "satisfaction" paperwork the OC & the Attorney/CA talking about submitting to the court once the money is paid the same as a vacate? If not, how does one go about getting the Court to issue a Vacate? Do I need to get the CA and/or the OC to file the Vacate?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's what happened to me. I got notice of the judgment and paid in full with 3 installments. Upon receipt of my final payment, they filed a satisfaction with the courts stating the it was paid in full. Now I must file a petition with the county court and ask them to vacate the judgment. All the CA can do is report it paid, only a judge can totally remove it, since (s)he is the one who put it there. At least that's how it is in Oregon. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

orhippychic wrote:
Here's what happened to me. I got notice of the judgment and paid in full with 3 installments. Upon receipt of my final payment, they filed a satisfaction with the courts stating the it was paid in full. Now I must file a petition with the county court and ask them to vacate the judgment. All the CA can do is report it paid, only a judge can totally remove it, since (s)he is the one who put it there. At least that's how it is in Oregon. Smiley Happy

orhippychic is spot on. 

This advice also applies to most states as well.
Message 6 of 8
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

What, if any, specific language or documents must I file in my court petition, and who has had success doing this?

My big issue with this is, I can't rent an apartment in Los Angeles County with this on my credit report, as it's also linked to the Landlord Association. I'm hoping to pay the judgment, then submit the vacate petition and be able to move on with my life as quickly as possible.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told to simply write a letter to the judge. There is no fee. I happen to have pre-paid legal so I am going to ask them to help me write it. If they do that for me, I would be happy to post it here so that you can see what I did. The language may not be right for your state, but it's a start. I got this info by calling the small claims division of my county court. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.