Re: PFD for an OC? (apt manager fraud?)

Ooooh, thanks SideWinder! Smiley Happy

I'll check those out!

~Griffin
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

KTS or Kimball, Tirey, St John are a powerful law firm that represents the Apartment Industry in CA.  As an added measure, they do collections for a fee as well.  The good news is that they will probably acknowledge a PAY FOR DELETE (PFD) once you bargain with them.  Call their San Diego office, be sicky sweet nice and see if they can send you a copy of the "intent to impose a claim letter" from the file. Tell them that you sincerely wish to settle this so they will be motivated.

My guess is that when you moved, you did not give the owner a forwarding and/or perhaps a 30 day notice and he sent the certified claim to the "vacant" apartment, which is legal. If the owner did not send you the claim, KTS will drop the collection, I assure you.

As far as your background...there are several companies that specialize in "Landlord Background Investigations".  They draw their data directly from the CRA's and then mash it into their own reporting system.  The criterion is usually set by the landlord, such as: no more than 2 - 30 day lates on all acounts, no evictions (unlawful detainers) at least 3 active accounts, no housing related collections, etc. You are going to definately want to have this collection removed. Not only will renting be an issue if they pull from the reporting CRA, but house buying will be very difficult. Call them today.

Message 12 of 13
Nectarine
Contributor

I just wanted to give a quick update on the situation.  Wow, I never realized just how epic my original post was!

This is still listed on my CR, but has since passed the SOL point for my girlfriend and I.  So now, let's just say the CA is SOL as well. Smiley Very Happy

A month before the SOL was up, I finally got a packet from KTSJ to "validate/verify" the account.  What was in it? 

• Their "original letter" that was NOT within the 30-day timeline by law
  • The "itemized" list of charges which was not itemized
  • A note from them wagging their finger at me and saying that was all the info they had on the account

I typed up a massive letter to them stating my case, but in the end I didn't send it.  Why bother?  I was/am tired of being jerked around by these idiots.

I didn't hide but I didn't back down, either.  They could have filed suit but they had literally no case, and no documents to back it up. 

The real kicker?  The "itemized" letter listed that they replaced carpet that was -1 (negative 1) days old, so they could charge me 100% of the replacement cost.  That is FRAUD under any name -- a $1200 LIE!

Now that months have passed since the SOL, I feel very free to do damage control.  I'm not willing to do a PFD  with them, but I will try for a GW letter.  I can also dispute with the CRAs, but so far it hasn't helped any.  Side Note: I recommend not using MyFICO's dispute creator as it was less effective than me simply writing a letter to the CRAs.  I'm preparing a BBB complaint against OC and CA as well, to hopefully put an end to this craziness.

Message Edited by Nectarine on 01-20-2010 01:21 AM
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.