cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD on an already paid account? - First Post.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD on an already paid account? - First Post.

First of all, thank you to everyone contributing time and information to this forum/website. The information seems to have proven invaluable to countless others and hopefully, now, myself.

The Issue:

A utilities account went to collections back in Dec. 2004 or Jan. 2005. I have since paid in full with the original company however it had already long gone to collections. I was not aware of PFDs at that time Smiley Sad
Collection agency posts on my reports as "paid in full to OC after the fact" (in short).

The Questions:

If I play on the fact that collection agencies love our money, and send them a PFD letter (playing dumb about the balance being at $0 with the original company) - What are the chances of their acceptance and subsequent deletion? Would this be too much of a legal no-no for agencies?

The overdue balance wasn't high to start off with. It would be worth it to pay out and disappear the derogatory, especially if I could get them to do it for 1/2 the original balance.

I live in Massachusetts, and the SOL seems to be 6-7 years. So is about 3-4 years in and MyFico points to that as an "ut-oh".

Opinions appreciated!

WesCV04
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sh9730
Regular Contributor

Re: PFD on an already paid account? - First Post.

In cases where you have already paid the debt,  your best options are to:

#1 - Use the GW (Goodwill) letter asking them that since its been paid can they remove the record from your report. People have hit and miss success with this approach.

#2 - Try to DV (Debt Validation) on the account. Sometimes its more trouble than its worth to them to come up with the documentation required since the debt has been paid.  Either they will delete, or if they dont respond to you at all within 30 days, you can then make the CRA delete it. 
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone posted the FDCPA says you have only 30 days to respond back with a DV once the first collection letter has been received. Since it has been a couple of years at least is DV still a plausible #2 option given the time lapse?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right DV is a waste of time because they don't have to respond and won't.  Your only real hope is a Goodwill letter.  If all else fails dispute it with the CRA's and stagger them if you get my drift.  It may never come off but it could because the CA has no interest in working on your disputes with no future payment and may just decide not to respond in a timely manner, causing it to fall off on technicality.  You learned a valuable take away though, so cheer up because they are old enough that the scores can't be too bad and they are showing paid which is a positive to lenders.  If you can't get them off, put comments on them saying you were in a coma or something so lenders will be sympathetic.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.