Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD with payment

tag
gillybmore
Established Member

PFD with payment

I read a post from 2008 that the person sends a letter with payment stating that the CA agrees to delete from all 3 CRAs and  not to sell or share w/ 3rd party upon money order/cashiers check being cashed.  Does this work?  Has anyone else tried this.  Somehow it makes sense to me.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFD with payment

I wouldn't suggest it. It's called a restrictive endorsement and that statement/clause would have to be on the back of the check just above where the OC/CA would endorse it. A letter by itself is not a contract and they can cash the check and nothing obligates them to delete (other than a conscience, but creditors have none). With regards to the legality of the restrictive endorsement, some states don't allow them and some states allow them but they are not enforcable. In other words, you can put that and they can cash it but they legally aren't obligated to delete.

I'd stick with the PFD. If they are open to deleting w/ a payment and a PFD, then they likely are open to responding to a PFD in writing.

Message 2 of 5
gillybmore
Established Member

ok thanks.  I have had no luck with PFD letters so far.  I was thinking this would work after they have not responded to the PFD letters.  But if its not enforceable...oh well.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

YMMV based on your state's laws. If interested in pursuing, look at your state's and thier's just in case.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

I wouldn't suggest it. It's called a restrictive endorsement and that statement/clause would have to be on the back of the check just above where the OC/CA would endorse it. A letter by itself is not a contract and they can cash the check and nothing obligates them to delete (other than a conscience, but creditors have none). With regards to the legality of the restrictive endorsement, some states don't allow them and some states allow them but they are not enforcable. In other words, you can put that and they can cash it but they legally aren't obligated to delete.

I'd stick with the PFD. If they are open to deleting w/ a payment and a PFD, then they likely are open to responding to a PFD in writing.

+1

I might add that in those few states where a restrictive endorsement of this nature would work, they generally require that there be a legitimate, communicated dispute over the debt.  In the OP's scenario, I do not see that.

IME, the odds are better in Vegas.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.