cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP!!! IRS Wage Garnishment!! Need info BAD!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PLEASE HELP!!! IRS Wage Garnishment!! Need info BAD!!

I'm freaking out here.

I just got papers from my corporate office, and it looks like my wages are being garnished for $3k of old taxes. I got 2 identical sheets (labeled parts 4 & 5) that apparently got sent to my employer. It is labeled "Notice of Levy on Wages, Salary, and Other Income". The bottom says it's IRS form 688-Wc.

My address listed on this sheet is over 5 years old, so obviously, I haven't gotten any warning of this! The sheets list 3 years of taxes, then fees of over 100%. Total comes out to $3095.00. I'm supposed to fill out something to return to my employer, basically saying how I'm filing (Unmarried head of household, 0 exemptions), and there's a chart for "figuring amount exempt from levy on wages salary and other income". From the chart, I might be able to keep $442 every 2 weeks to live on. How generous. My rent is $600/mo, so that looks like I'll have about $300/mo to cover all bills and food. Yikes!! (looks like I better get a second/third job)

I've been searching on the web, and I can only find quick-repair, lift-the-levy-now-for-$800-what-a-bargain type sites. Those sites are also talking about bank account levies, and people who have had their entire checking accounts wiped out right when their rent is due! Wikipedia has been slightly more helpful, but I need answers from someone who knows!!

How much will they take??? (I only made $26k last year. In Southern California. I'm a big baller. Smiley Tongue ) How much can they legally take?!?!? I'm a waitress, so most money I make is in cash, and I get about $125 every 2 weeks for my check. Will I have to pay my employer every week??? Can I trust putting money in my checking account??? how do I pay my CC bills if I can't deposit to my checking and send them money? (Of COURSE this is happening while my util % is high, too, just to worry me more).

I was planning on taking a Prosper loan out to cover this, but this is forcing my hand. My 2 TL's are being slow as molasses to post. I need to have *some* positives to boost my score, and then wouldn't you know it, a collection that wasn't reporting to EX is reporting now, so my EX looks like poo, and I won't have a chance in heck of getting funded. Not that the verification is going quickly, either.

First step is to make BF pay the rent through is checking account and not mine, just in case. We've been doing it through my account for 2 years---his turn! I suppose The Man won't be constantly watching my account, so I'll deposit cash, and then pay my CC online within 5 minutes of that deposit. There will still be a window of opportunity, but reduced.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Help me! I need to calm down!!! Please someone who has info, PLEASE help me!
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! IRS Wage Garnishment!! Need info BAD!!

Mainly I just wanted to add moral support to ya Jenna-- so, so, so sorry you are in this crappy situation. I can only fathom how bad it would weigh on my mind.

I think talking with an "Enrolled Agent" in your area would be really beneficial. These are experts at dealing with the IRS and their fees usually are extremely reasonable. Alternatively, you could call the irs and try to get their help in, at very minimum, keeping a living wage after the garnishments, especially in such a high-cost area as SoCal.

Truly best of luck to ya with this Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,
call them and set up a payment plan..trust me you can do it yourself (IRS sets up payment plans all the time )..
they will fax something to your work saying to no longer take anything from your wages (trust me you don't want them doing that they take an obscene ammount of $$ !)..so have any fax number handy.

Trust me here..just call..they figure out what you can afford along with your help..you can do it!!
   good luck  Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mother got laid off after 23 years and took out her retirement to live on and she had to pay taxes to the irs and she's only paying like 173.00 a month. She is making monthly payment plans. I just saw this post and had to let you know mom was putting off calling them, in a frantic and way to upset as well. Hopefully they might do the same as what they did with her. It may be different since she was laid off, but might be worth a try.
Message 4 of 20
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Due to an error on my prior taxes, we got hit with $5k, but our cpa reduced it to 3,200.  With interest, etc, $4k.

I made a payment arrangement w/them for $100/monthly.  Of course, they're keeping this tax return AND my little refund from GB, BUT I should be paid off.

They did charge $105 to set up this plan.

Try NOT to freak out, they will work with you. 
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can go to local office and talk with live agent.  they are very good about setting up payment plans.  however they do not like to be ignored.  they can take all your money and leave you nothing if so inclined.  they have mellowed out.  see them right away. 
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will echo the responses. First, don't freak out too much. I had this happen to me with the IRS, then the state. It was a truly trying experience, but you, like me, will make it through.

I also echo the "don't ignore them" advice. That is not going to help you. Get into your LOCAL office TODAY. They are staffed with, at lease in my area, very nice and helpful people. Calling is futile. Talk to them, get the payment plan going, because they WILL take that staggering cut from your payroll very soon.

Last, I got a accountant. It will cost you, but if the account only explains WHY they are doing this it will be worth it. They may be able to help much much more. I got back MOST of what I payed them, as THEY were the one reassessing my taxes based on a single filing status well after I was married.

Good luck

TBR
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 thing that I know for sure   they WILL take every dime out of every checking or saving account that is in your name or has your name on it !!!!

Check with the IRS  for laws...single  married  breadwinner.....Im not sure how state laws come into affect or if they do.

They will notify your bank & if you deposit it will go direct to them! If your name is on B/F account  it will go also.  Make sure that the account is only in his name!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 02-12-2008 10:27 AM
Message 8 of 20
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

Call the IRS, doesn't have to be a local agent, call them directly at 800-829-1040 answer the prompts, and it will transfer you to an agent, let them know you'd like to make a payment arrangement, the call should take about 30 minutes and when it's all said and done they should stop the garnishments. They will send you some paperwork to the agreement, there are fees associated with the agreement, pay on time every single month and they won't bother you anymore. A day late to them is breaking the contract. You can pay online once you get set-up either with cc/debit (there is a fee for this) or checking etc (this is free) but you have to set-up with them takes about 3 weeks.

Also please note you MUST file all your taxes on time(meaning if you need an extension you need to file for one) when you're in the agreement, and you must pay whatever is owed (if any) on say 2007 taxes, or the plan will go null and void. They'll explain it to you. If you make that plan with them they won't be forced to go after your bank account. But for now I'd take my money out, and leave just enough to keep it open. Sounds drastic, but the IRS isn't known for giving money back.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did my taxes wrong 2 years ago and they just told me so now I owe $1600. I set up payment plans with them and they are only making me pay $50 a month. I would definitely call the IRS and set up a payment plan. It was pretty easy to do. If you don't know how to contact them I can give you the info. I need to find my paperwork first though. Also if you get any refund this year that will go towards it and I am assuming the refund everybody is supposed to get from the government this summer should go towards that as well. Hope this helps.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.