cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP! report discrepancies (soft pulls)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PLEASE HELP! report discrepancies (soft pulls)

My boyfriend's mother asked her brother, who owns a governement contracted coproration, to pull her son's (my boyfriend) credit report/background. On the report that the uncle pulled, it shows about 35 credit inquiries. On the 3-bureau report that my boyfriend obtained from experian, it only shows 7 inquiries, all of which are for accounts he has open. My question is this, why the discrepancy? Why is the report that his uncle pulled so detailed, yet the one he has at home was not? His uncle says that he must have applied for all of these items or it wouldn't show up on the report, but I have read online that many inqiries on one's credit report are soft pulls, or just companies pulling credit reports to extend offers for items like student loans and credit cards. Why doesn't the experian report show these inquiries? How can he confirm/prove that these inquiries that are on the report his uncle pulled soft pulls and not actual credit applications that he requested? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Message Edited by scharocks on 03-22-2008 05:56 AM

Message Edited by scharocks on 03-22-2008 06:01 AM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PLEASE HELP! report discrepancies (soft pulls)

Soft- Pulls have no impact on credit scores.  The reason they may not be listed on EX is these companies did not pull from EX.

Are they showing as Hard Pulls on any of CRA's?   If not, don't worry.

He can opt-out if he wants to stop most of the soft pulls.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what a CRA is. The problem isn't the impact that these soft pulls are having on the score. The problem is that his family sees these and is assuming that he applied for credit 35 times, when they were just soft pulls. I guess our question really is: Is there a way to contact these companies to remove the inquiries from his report, or to verify that he did not authorize or actually request these inquiries?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRA is abbrev for Credit Reporting Agency,  I doubt you wil have any success getting them removed.

Just explain to family he had no control over these inquiries. Only way to limit them is to opt-out at www.OptOutPrescreen.com

Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, first of all, that's a pretty dang scary way to get a report. I'm pretty perturbed to know that a contractor can access my credit files! And I believe that several contactors just lost their jobs with the passport office for doing something similar.

Anyway, your BF needs to go to annualcreditreport.com and request all three (EQ, TU, and EX) of his reports for free. If he's already done this within the past 12 months, he should go to each company's website and pay about $8-10 at each and buy his own report. Tell him to be sure not to pay for any scores when he does this. Only EQ (Equifax) will sell his FICO score from the credit bureau website. The others sell bogus FAKO scores.

If a report shows both hard and soft inquiries, they are separated out on the report. The soft inquiries will be under a separate heading that will say something like "requests for credit viewable only by you." These are partial credit reviews that are done by existing creditors to make sure that you're behaving yourself, and seeing if they want to increase your credit limit, and also reviews by other companies to see if you fit their overall profile of potential customers. If you have pulled your own credit reports, you will also see that here. None of these affect your score or your credit in any way, shape, or form. Many of us here on the forums follow our softs to see who is interested in us, even though these don't affect our scores.

Hard inquiries, which result from you asking for credit, display for two years, although they are only counted in scoring for one year. These are the ones to inspect to see if they are legit. And when you get a credit report from someone other than the actual credit bureau, for instance from myFICO, TrueCredit, PrivacyMatters, etc., they will only display the hards. (And myFICO will only display hards from the last 12 months, because they are the only ones that affect scoring.)

All three reports (from the three credit bureaus) will show completely different lists of inquiries, because most creditors only pull a report from one credit bureau. So for example, my EQ has inqs from PenFed, Citi, and Chase; TU has an inq from Barclay's; and EX (Experian) has inqs from Kohl's/Chase (over a year old), Bank of America, and American Express. And I would be mortified to tell you how many softs I have on each from all the credit pulls that I did myself! Smiley Very Happy

edit to add: well, I took so long to post this that the thread evolved. I see now that you understand the difference; it's just his family freaking out from not knowing how this stuff works. I hope you can explain it to them; otherwise, it just looks like one of those times when a grown-up's relatives just need to mind their own business. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-22-2008 07:40 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. He got a 3 agency report and score from Experian.com, which was $39.95. I have thoroughly looked over this report, and the only inquiries I see are the "hard" ones for accounts that he has opened or knowingly applied for. I don't see the area where you mentioned "items only viewable by you." I am guessing that is because we pulled a 3 bureau report from experian as opposed to getting each separately from the reporting agencies. Do you think we should go ahead and order individual reports from each agency just too see who did the pulls? Also, I will tell him about the opt-out website. I guess they are concerned because these soft pulls are from companies like student loans, car loans and credit cards, and they think that credit was being applied for in his name, even though they were actually soft pulls for pre-approvals. Once we find out who these companies who did the inquiries are, can we request that they be removed from his report, as they were not initiated by him? There are inquiries on there from 2005, and also very recently, like several in the last month or so. He definetly gets letters in the mail all of the time with offers, I guess we didn't know that those offers have to come from somewhere. Thanks again.
Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You're right, the three-in-one from Experian will only show the hards.

There's just no reason on God's green earth to get softs removed, at least for credit purposes. And although I have a hard time imaging how this could blow up in his face, funny things happen when you contact creditors and ask them to remove stuff.

Softs don't give lots of details, especially promotional ones. With promos, a lender will say something like, "Tell me all the people you have with scores between 620 and 660, no 60-day or worse lates, 1 charge-off max, and no bankruptcies within the last four years." (Or whatever.) The CRA's (credit bureaus) then sell them the names and addresses of people who fit that profile. But they don't get the truly private stuff. If you still have the print-out, these would have a -PR (for promotional) prefix.

With account review and account maintenance softs, creditors look at the reports of existing customers. (These would have an -AR or -AM prefix.) I guess it's possible that some were for someone with a SSN one digit different or something, but no damage has been done to his credit. Now, I suppose one possibility is that he could try to sue the lenders for -AR and -AM prefix softs, since they didn't have Permissible Purpose (PP) to access his reports. This doesn't apply to -PR softs, since they're only getting his name and address.

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on reports, maybe 2 or 4 times a year, but since none of these softs "turned into" the real thing, it looks to me like the creditors who made the softs realized that they had the wrong person and went on to the correct borrower.

I don't know if there's any way that you can get his fam to calm down and back off, other than telling them that it's possible that attempting the removal of the softs would trigger fraud alerts to slam down on all three reports, and maybe something else ugly that I'm not aware of. Good luck on this. It's definitely a unique problem you've brought to the forums!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
l-bug
Established Member

haulingthescoreup wrote:
...funny things happen when you contact creditors and ask them to remove stuff.

I called a creditor to have my spouse dropped as authorized user.  Then MY scored dropped 8 points! A pull of my report showed a newly reported unspecified late from this creditor, and the comments had a note added that arrangements had been made for partial payments! (Formerly, the comments stated that account was managed by a debt counseling program-which is correct.)  

I am currently disputing, as no late payments have ever been made on this account, and I pay 3X the minimum payment each month through a DMP.

Even this simple creditor contact went awry; I would hate to contact them about something complicated.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.