Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE Help re: collections issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PLEASE Help re: collections issues

Hello! I am hoping that someone can help me understand what to do about this situation.  We recently got a bill for when my son was in the hospital in April.  We got the first bill about 6 weeks ago, and another one two weeks ago.  The second one said we needed to pay, work out a payment plan, or it would go to collections.  DH was supposed to call, and 'forgot.'  I just got a collections letter today and I am FREAKING OUT.  We are supposed to buy a house in the Spring, and I am pregnant as well.  This seems like the worst imaginable thing that could happen to us financially right now.  We can pay the bill, but I don't know what to do to fix my credit.  PLEASE HELP!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PLEASE Help re: collections issues

Are you sure it's gone to your credit already?
Message 2 of 15
Takunda1
Established Contributor

You r account with the hospital has not been charged off. The collection agency has been contracted to actually collect and pay back the hospital. If I were you I  would immediately set up a payment plan with the hospital, or pay them in full. While at it make sure to send a DV letter to the collection agency. Obviously when they send you letter to the hospital to DV you'll already have a payment plan set up so they'll just tell the CA to drop it, & it won't go on your CR

Hope that helps.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, I'm not completely following...  I assume it is not on my credit report yet, but I just got the first letter from a collection agency yesterday saying that they have taken over the debt.  So- if I pay the hospital TODAY, then do I send a letter to the collection agency saying that I don't have the debt, when they check with the hospital, it will show as paid?  And that will be before it ever hits my credit?  Am I following?  But, I thought once the collection agency takes over the debt, it is too late to pay the hospital?  Am I wrong here?  Thanks so much for your help with this!
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question- I went on-line and created an account on the hospital website, and it shows my balance and I can pay on-line.  I also called and got a recording (6am).  Should I go ahead and pay it on-line through the hospital website, or wait to talk with a real person and verify that they will cancel the collection?  Or if I pay on-line and send a DV to the CA, that will take care of the problem?  Since it is still listed on-line, does that mean I still 'have time' to pay it directly to the hospital?  THANKS!
Message 5 of 15
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

If it's not on your cr's yet and you can still pay on-line to the oc(your account is still open) I would pay right now...
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so I paid the bill on-line through the hospital billing website.  On Monday- we will call the hospital to verify that they are showing a 0 balance, and ask them to cancel the collection.  Then, we will send a letter on Monday to the CA, certified mail, asking them to validate the debt.  When they go to validate it, it will show 0 balance, right?  Will they send me a letter?  Is there any chance it will still show up on my credit report as a paid collection?  Sorry- this was just quite a shock and demonstration of irresponsibiliy on my part- and I want to make it right as quickly as possible so it does not impact our plans for a house!  Thanks everyone!
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

iwanna, I think you did the right thing, by acting immediately on this.

But IMO, you should call the hospital TODAY, just to have peace of mind they will not act. There business office is open today, I'll bet.

At least they can make a notation on your records, that you've paid, with the ref.#. Do a follow up call on monday, to verify they've received it.

That's what I'd do, but that's just me. I trust no one, no thing, only myself, when it comes to stuff like that. I have to satisfy myself fully, before I can relax. But again, that's just me, and what I'd do.
Message 8 of 15
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Good! You paid to the oc as the account was still open with them. You just got the 1st collection letter yesterday, looks to me like:"the payment was paid BEFORE you recieved the collection letter" The ca has 30 days to validate that you owe and guess what...you don't owe a cent!
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a lesson about medical bills!  I did call the hospital, but the billing office is closed today and tomorrow, but will be open on Monday.  We will call first thing on Monday, and send our dv on Monday as well.  So- CA's don't report until after the 'you have 30 days blah, blah, blah?' UGH!  Thanks for all your help!  I probably would have gone ahead and paid the collection agency instead, if I had not gotten your advice here, and that would have been worse!  I'll still be nervous about it for the next few months, until I know my cr is okay.  UGH!  Thanks a bunch!
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.