Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Collections Account beyond SOL--

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid Collections Account beyond SOL--

Hello,

I am new to this board but am in desparate need of help! I'm trying to repair my credit and am finding out a lot of new, overwhelming information. For instance, last year I was pretty much harrassed by a debt collection firm for a outstanding debt. They served me with court papers and everything. I ended up getting a judgement brought against me. I ended up paying the judgement b/c I was terrified and didn't know where else to turn. Looking back though, I believe this debt was beyond the 5 year SoL. I know it's my fault that I paid the judgement before knowing this, but is there ANYTHING I can do to get the judgement removed?

Help! And thanks!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid Collections Account beyond SOL--

If the judgement is not showing as paid, dispute it.  As well, you can contact the attorneys and see if they will remove it.

But as for the suing after SOL issue, that's complex.  You're best bet is to determine if that was in fact the case, or if you acknowledged the debt or did anything to reset the SOL prior to the situation.  If so, there is nothing you can do about the judgement solely for that reason at this point, but you might still be within the timeframe to appeal. 

I would contact an attorney at www.naca.net who is familiar with your State's laws and can tell you what your options might be.  Possibly this CA violated some FDCPA laws and would be willing to remove the judgement so that you will not sue them for violations etc.  Maybe you were not properly served.

So, determine the facts and also look at the Court's site for additional information and documents.  If you think you might have a case... contact NACA for sure.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.