cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off closed account with a negative effect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off closed account with a negative effect?

Hi guys. I closed a credit card with a high balance in 2009. I forgot all about it since my wife pays the bill each month. When I was going through my FICO reports, I noticed there was roughly a $600 discrepancy from what I thought my balances were to what was reported. I asked my wife and she said she’s been paying it. I went ahead and just paid it off when I found out. Now, it looks like I dropped between 9-12 points across the reporting agencies for paying it off. How does that happen? I assume they lowered me back in 2009 when I closed he card, now they’re double stamping me when I pay it off? Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off closed account with a negative effect?

Paying off a closed account should not in itself cause a score drop.  What can happen is that paying off a credit card can cause certain credit monitoring tools (e.g. myFICO Ultimate) to send you an alert indicating that you paid the card to zero.  At the same time the tool will recalculate your score.  If something else changed on your report since your score was generated (very possible and such changes are often difficult to see) that might well cause a score drop.

When your card reported a zero balance, were all your cards at zero?  Just curious.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unstated in the post is whether the account was being reported as delinquent based on the discrepancy in balances.

Was the minimum payment being made each month, or was the payment less than the min, resulting in a delinquency status?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies guys. The acct was not delinquent ever. Unfortunately it looks like the account, even being closed, was acting as credit that was available. So when I paid it off, it looks like my “available” credit went down even though I couldn’t utilize any of it. Confusing, but I still think I may have been double hit.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And I forgot to mention too that my 2 credit cards have a $0 balance on both. As of now it’s only a total available of $1750, but its my start.
Message 5 of 6
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

You got hit for having utilization at 0.  Let a balance report on one of your cards this month and you will probably see those points return.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.