cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off credit card debt ($10k) - best strategy moving forward? best place to check scores?

tag
salsa34
New Contributor

Paid off credit card debt ($10k) - best strategy moving forward? best place to check scores?

We paid off $10k of credit card debt a few months ago.  I'd like to check and see what impact this has had on my credit score.  What's the best way to do this?  Just order one of the $19.95 reports from this site?  Which one of the three is best to check?  Score Watch would give me a free check, but it does not seem to be very easy to cancel.

Scores were 720 before, so hoping for enough to jump up to Excellent range.  

Also, moving forward, what's the best strategy to maintain a good score, but use the cards as little as possible?  

Can I just choose one of the cards each month and charge a small amount and then pay it off (all at once or over time??).  We have four total.  If each is used once every 2-3 months, is that good enough?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid off credit card debt ($10k) - best strategy moving forward? best place to check scores?

@salsa34 wrote:

We paid off $10k of credit card debt a few months ago.  I'd like to check and see what impact this has had on my credit score.  What's the best way to do this?  Just order one of the $19.95 reports from this site?  Which one of the three is best to check?  Score Watch would give me a free check, but it does not seem to be very easy to cancel.

Scores were 720 before, so hoping for enough to jump up to Excellent range.  

Also, moving forward, what's the best strategy to maintain a good score, but use the cards as little as possible?  

Can I just choose one of the cards each month and charge a small amount and then pay it off (all at once or over time??).  We have four total.  If each is used once every 2-3 months, is that good enough?

Thanks!

There is a discount promo code that's available:

E1308BDY20FST

Gives you 20% off the price, so all 3 would be ~$45

Message 2 of 5
salsa34
New Contributor

Re: Paid off credit card debt ($10k) - best strategy moving forward? best place to check scores?

Thanks for the code!  If I just order one, which one should I choose?

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@salsa34 wrote:

If each is used once every 2-3 months, is that good enough?

Each issuer can have differing activity requirements.  Verify with the issuers.

Message 4 of 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

If your intent is to order only one then the EQ report provided here is the FICO score that lenders normally use. Do you have a monitoring service that allows you to check all three reports on at least a monthly basis? Don't concern yourself with scores from these services but once we have good credit it is often a wise idea to monitor our reports to ensure that no false negative information gets in and regular creditors are reporting correctly.

As far as your four credit cards go, using them every couple of months should be enough activity to keep them open, just be aware that some issuers are more sensitive to non-use than others. The members on the Credit Card forum can guide you if you tell them what specific cards you have.

For best scoring you would want to let one of the four cards report a small (less than 9%) balance each month and the other 3 be $0. You need to know the statement date that the card reports to the credit bureaus. Then you can pay the remaining balance before the due date to avoid incurring interest charges. There are a lot of discussions in the forums about maximizing credit scoring if you are interested. A simple search will turn up most of them.

Congrats on your financial achievements and great credit responsibility.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.