Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking ticket fright

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Parking ticket fright

Alright so I received a parking ticket while I was in college from our college campus police. I held off paying it because I didn't have the money for it. Well I finally graduated and got a little bit of money so I was going back and settling some of my old debts. Its probably a 50 or 60 dollar ticket tops. It happened sometime in late 2006 or early 2007. Well wouldn't you believe it, I lost the ticket. So I decide to walk in with my name and info and just pay it that way. Well our school has a really bad ticket problem and they couldn't get the tickets into the system fast enough. They said without the original ticket, they couldn't do anything for me. They have all of the tickets in paper form and once they get them into the computer they might be able to find out it belongs to me or they might not. Heck, they might not even have it anymore. So here I am, doing my best to keep my credit up and am just frightened that this ticket is going to rear its head and bite me when I least expect it. What should I do? Has anyone dealt with something like this?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Parking ticket fright

berraco58 wrote:
Alright so I received a parking ticket while I was in college from our college campus police. I held off paying it because I didn't have the money for it. Well I finally graduated and got a little bit of money so I was going back and settling some of my old debts. Its probably a 50 or 60 dollar ticket tops. It happened sometime in late 2006 or early 2007. Well wouldn't you believe it, I lost the ticket. So I decide to walk in with my name and info and just pay it that way. Well our school has a really bad ticket problem and they couldn't get the tickets into the system fast enough. They said without the original ticket, they couldn't do anything for me. They have all of the tickets in paper form and once they get them into the computer they might be able to find out it belongs to me or they might not. Heck, they might not even have it anymore. So here I am, doing my best to keep my credit up and am just frightened that this ticket is going to rear its head and bite me when I least expect it. What should I do? Has anyone dealt with something like this?

Get something in writing from them that they are unable to locate said ticket without the written ticket.  It would even be more helpful if you could write something stating the date and theamount you attemoted to pay and have someone sign and print their name that the ticket could not be located.  Scan it or put it in a safety deposit box in case it does sme up sometime in the future.  Colleges seem to be a little easier to work with.  If it comes up, referenceyou attemot to pay and let them know you would be glad to take care of t with the agrement in writing that it would be removed from you CR.

Without something in writing that they are unable to locate the ticket, it would be your word against theirs.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol

All this over a parking ticket.

I'm there with you, though.  I had a $20 parking ticket sent to a collections department when I was 16.
Message 3 of 5
My_dog_FICO
Regular Contributor

Sounds to me like they can't validate that you have a debt if they can't find their copy of the ticket.  DV them.  If they can't validate, then request they delete from your CR.  Also dispute with the CRAs if they can't validate.

You did the morally right thing and attempted to pay a debt.  When that fails, get it expunged.
11/14/07 TU 567 - EQ 561 - EX 577
11/29/07 TU ??? - EQ 573 - EX ???
12/10/07 TU ??? - EQ 579 - EX ??? - 60% util - OOPS!
Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

From the way I read it, this hasn't been reported anywhere; it's just OP trying to do the right thing.

berraco58, it's entirely possible that they never even entered the ticket in their records. My daughter's university posts those puppies the next day, and they can't sign up for classes, request a dorm room, and especially, can't graduate with an unpaid ticket. It's possible that the ticket is in some box somewhere, waiting for a work-study student to enter it, or that it's long since lost.

I agree, write something up stating your attempt to pay, have them sign it, and save it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.