cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking tickets on credit report

tag

Parking tickets on credit report

I had 5 parking tickets go to collections, and though they are now paid, they are stuck on my credit report. Since they had nothing to do with obtaining/using "credit", how can they be on there? Is there any way to dispute this, though they are a few years old? We want to buy a house in 2013, but 3 of them will be on there until 2016.

Needless to say, the tickets are seriously dragging down my score since I have "delinquent" accounts.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Parking tickets on credit report

Owing the city money is a collection issue and can definitely go on your reports, unfortunately.

Have you tried GW letters?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 10
GregB
Valued Contributor

You owed money and didn't pay it. How is that different than other credit? The big damage to your Credit Reports and score is when those became so overdue that they appeared in collections.

Message 3 of 10

It's different to me b/c it's NOT credit. It's a fine.

But my opinion will not make a bit of difference, I realize that.

Thanks for the input, I will try GW letters.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

Owing the city money is a collection issue and can definitely go on your reports, unfortunately.

Have you tried GW letters?

+1

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I never knew an unpaid parking ticket could end up on ones credit report.....learn something new every day here at MyFico!!!!

+1 on the GW letters.

Best of Luck.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, I never knew an unpaid parking ticket could end up on ones credit report.....learn something new every day here at MyFico!!!!

+1 on the GW letters.

Best of Luck.

I've heard of overdue library books being reported.  Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 603(d) defines consumer reports to include information "bearing on a consumer's credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living which is used or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for the purpose of serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for (A) credit or insurance to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes; (B) employment purposes, or (C) any other purpose authorized under section 604."  Of course, reportable information cannot be restricted by any other statute.

Reporting of collections is not based on a debt collector's extension of credit, but are reportable.  As are civil judgments, bankruptcies, and charge-offs.  FCRA 605(a).

FCRA 604 defines permissible reasons for access to a consumer credit report, and is not restricted only to the securement of new credit.  Consumer initiated business transactions are not credit per se, but are reportable and reasons for access to a consumer credit report.

The field of credit reporting is somewhat broad.

Message 8 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Overdue library book?  Yep.  right here. circa 2007.  $42.93 - "Unique" collections - Library refuses PFD.  Library still owns the debt.  The only unpaid collection I have - Would pay but don't want to wake up sleeping giant. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 9 of 10
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Unique will not do a PFD, but will only report for one year following payment of debt.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.