cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past 3 months Comenity has been reporting updates to cards closed a year ago!?

tag
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Past 3 months Comenity has been reporting updates to cards closed a year ago!?

A couple of years ago when I first started building credit, I did an app spree which included Express and Palais Royal. I could never get them to give me increases on these 2 cards for some reason ($200 CL) and so I closed them last October a year ago. 

For the past 3 months they have been updating both to all 3 bureaus with a status like 'closed by consumer' (first) then then next month no change that I could see other than it was just the date reported was updated to the current month, then most recently (November 2017) they were updated on al 3 bureaus with a status of 'Paid Loan'.

I don't get why they're doing this and why the 'Paid Loan' status, especially a year after they were al closed?

Is this something I should have them correct? The 'Paid Loan' doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Past 3 months Comenity has been reporting updates to cards closed a year ago!?

OK... so, apparently it’s not just me that has had this going on....
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 5
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Re: Past 3 months Comenity has been reporting updates to cards closed a year ago!?

Sorry, but some how your reply makes me feel better. Smiley Happy

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 3 of 5
rprisco
Regular Contributor

Doing same to me on buckles and pier1 both closed and occasionally updates to show closed at my request. No score changes as a result so no worries.
Current Scores as of 8/18/17 all FICO 8 EQ: 695 EX: 673 *fico2 699 TU:645 bio has more.
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

CRA policy, as set forth in their joint credit reporting manual, titled the Credit REporting Resource Guide, instructs furnishers to discontinue regular monthly updating no later than three months after a closed account has been paid, and thus is no longer delinquent.

That is an internal policy to reduce paperwork, as the updates no longer report a delinquency status, and thus serve no purpose.

However, if some information changes after the debt is paid, updated reporting can/must be made based on the requirment of FCRA 623(a)(2).  Thus, the issue for updates of a paid, closed account is whether the update is necessary to correct the accuracy of any reported information, or whether it is simply a redunant repetition of the paid, closed status.

However, it is more an issue of formality than of substance once the debt is updated to show paid.

Updated reporting affects unpaid, delinquent accounts in that it is a positive statement that the account remains delinquent as of the new reporting date.  It is thus not redundant, and has scoring impact by effectively extending the length or delinquency of the account.

However, once the account is paid, it no longer has a  reported delinquency status, and thus updated reporting no longer affects scoring.

I would not necessarily recommend disputing updated reporting unless the account does not yet show a current status of paid.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.