Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past Landlord -Equity Residential sent me to Collection Agency

tag
dieselcafe
Contributor

Past Landlord -Equity Residential sent me to Collection Agency

I broke my lease to move to California for family reason and I was unable to pay the $2000 fee. 

I lived in Boston before I moved to California.   My ex landlord in Boston was Equity Residential

Equity Residential sent me to collection company and now i owe them $3000 which was posted on my credit report.   

My situation was that I was unable to find a job in California and I just now moved back to New England.   For some reason, I was able to rent a 1 bedroom apartment in  Providence RI.   I guess the  rent collection was not posted on my credit report at the time my current landlord  checked my credit.  Otherwise, they would not rent me a place.

My question is, if I contact the collection agency  to make the payment, will I be able to rent a place in Boston after the payment is made?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
babbles
Established Contributor

Re: Past Landlord -Equity Residential sent me to Collection Agency

just wondering, did this go right on your credit file once reported to them?

Message 2 of 4
dieselcafe
Contributor

The reporting date was some time in April, 2012.  Not sure when it actually showed up on my report but I was able to get a one bedroom apt from another national property folks in July of the same year.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

That will be at the discretion of the prospective landlord.

The best option is to offer the debt collector payment in exchange for their deletion of the collection.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.