Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Status entry on credit file...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay Status entry on credit file...

I'm curious. On the credit file, if the entry shows a $0 balance (as something has been paid off years ago), and the pay status says derogatory, and pay status says "collection/charge off", is that going to lower the credit score? Shouldn't it show, "closed, settled, current", or something like that?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay Status entry on credit file...

The status doesn't matter at all to FICO scoring. On a manual review, paid is better than unpaid.
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pay Status entry on credit file...

However, if the box labled "Worst Delinquency" in the FICO report says something like "90" or "120 plus days past due", then that is hurting your score in a big way. I had one changed from "120 days past due" to "co/collection" and score jumped 20-30 points. I have a CO that updates monthly and switches back and forth, 20-30 point swings monthly. It is set to be removed in June, but it is interesting to see the change over a 1 day period, with nothing else going on on the CR.

But with that said, your account could be helping your overall avg. age and its removal could harm your score.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.