cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay credit card debt or unsecured loan first?

tag
BarbaraBeau

Pay credit card debt or unsecured loan first?

This is my first posting to this board.  I have a large lump sum of money to pay off my debt.  Although I know I should pay off the higher percentages first, if I have to choose between paying off a credit card vs. paying off an unsecured loan for the same percentages and total debt, which would help my credit score more?

I'm thinking I should pay off the credit cards first since it will improve my debt to credit ratio?  Any advice?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay credit card debt or unsecured loan first?

CC count more toward scores!    after you pay them off  take what you would be paying & add it to your payment toward other debt.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would help your scores more to pay down CC balances first. Your FICO scores are affected greatly by utilization on revolving debts. ( Ideal utiliz is 1-9% of available credit on revolving ) Don't let the cards stay dormant, show small usage every couple of months. Is other unsecured debt Installment? If so installment balances don't affect you as much as long as reorted as current.
Message 3 of 6
BarbaraBeau

Thanks so much for the advice!  That's what I'm going to do.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so glad I found this site because every question I ask or need to know is already here. Thank you for asking that question because I was going to post it. I was unsure if I should pay down CC or CA accounts that's closed out. I need my scores to move and if I pay down my CC I believe it will. My credit cards are maxed and I need to bring them down.
Message 5 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck BB and determined.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.