Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off Credit Cards or Auto Loan?

tag
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

Pay off Credit Cards or Auto Loan?

I am trying to fiugre out which to pay off. Can anyone tell which is better to pay off? Which will help my score more?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay off Credit Cards or Auto Loan?

You should post details; information that can help people answer your question better.

A simple answer would be to pay off whichever has a higher interest rate, assuming your debts are about equal.  

Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ewingerter wrote:

I am trying to fiugre out which to pay off. Can anyone tell which is better to pay off? Which will help my score more?

Since credit card utilization is 30% of your total score then paying off the CC's would help your score more IMO. Installment loan utilization is factored into scoring but it's a very, very minor consideration.

What is your overall and individual card utilization right now?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 7
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

Most of my cards are at the max so I would say probably close to 80% if not more.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with MVV - you'll see a far more significant FICO impact from paying down CC's (revolving) debt vs. paying down installment debt.

In addition, CC's are often much higher interest rates than installments.

Because many experts consider CC debt toxic (and I agree) my strong vote would be to pay as much of that down as possible.

It really does help if you list the cards, the CL and the balances for the most helpful feedback from folks.  Add the interest rate if you like - some debt snowball versions consider interest rate.  I tend toward the basic snowball approach - pay off small balances first, then keep snowballing payments into the next larger balance.  I like the psychological lift from being debt-free (or PIFing) on as many cards as possible.  It helps retrain the brain - it can be overwhelming to learn new spending/paying habits and we all need a little extra somethin somethin to keep us going forward.  Seeing those zero balances on more and more cards is that little somethin somethin that a lot of folks like.

Message 5 of 7
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I personally would pay credit cards first, and agree with others that that will have a larger score impact.  Chances are that you pay a higher interest, but a lower mointhly payment on CCs but don't be fooled, paying those balances down first will almost always be the better choice.  Also, if something happens you can use the credit again in an emergency, if you pay down your auto loan and are still 80% or more util on CC you have little room to maneuver.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cards first...they usually have a higher interest rate. Paying them will lead to lower future monthly payments freeing up cash.

Installment loans are a fixed payment so if you pay most of it off you'll still have to cover the standard payment every month until its paid in full.

Paying the CC debt will also significantly boost your scores. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.