Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off closed CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off closed CC?

I kind of remember reading somewhere on here that a closed credit card with a balance is still factored into your total util but once you pay it off it stops being factored in.

I have a closed credit card with a horrible interest rate that I was thinking about BT to a low interest card. The credit limit on the closed card is 3380. I would be transferring the remaining balance of 2000 to a card with CL of 2500. So if I transfer this would this end up being bad for my credit score? I don't want to keep paying mega bucks in interest but I also really really don't want to hurt my score.

Message Edited by ladedahme on 04-01-2008 12:56 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay off closed CC?

a closed account with a Bal....the debt is factured but the CL shouldn't   that is where it hurts.

I had 1 account & have heard from others that they CL was still showing & was figured in total UTIL   then many others it was not.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info HappyDays. It shows on my CR as having a credit limit of 3380. So I don't know if that means it's being calculated or not.

I think I'll do the transfer anyway just to save the money and get it paid off faster. I'll let you guys know if there is any change in the score after it all gets posted and such.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely transfer it.....you definitely don't want to risk them jacking up the interest rate on you because it's closed and you have a balance on it.  ( I had that happen once or twice and it was no fun because I didn't have anywhere to transfer mine)
Message 4 of 5
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Mine is still showing as OPEN with a cl of 10,000, but I closed it.  It does have a balance.  The numbers are correct that it's being used toward my util.

I'm paying it off next month anyway.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.