Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off installment loan or let it ride out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off installment loan or let it ride out

I have an RV loan that has some late payments on it. On credit karma it says I have paid this account 77% on time.

I have the money to pay it off but Im wondering if it would be better to let it ride and continue making on time payments until the loan is paid off.

What would help my credit more?  Paying it off or paying it out?

Its a 12 year RV loan and I have 4 years left on it so i'm starting to get into actually paying down the balance instead of just paying interest.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay off installment loan or let it ride out

Is this your only open installment account?  No personal loans, student loans, other auto loans, mortgage, etc?

If it is your only installment account, then I'd keep steadily paying it off as fast as you can.  But about 2-3 months before you pay it off, implement the Share Secure Loan Technique (assuming it is still your only installment account). 

If you have two or more open loans, you'll need to tell us what those are, how much you owe on each right now, and what the original loan amounts were for.  We'll be able to advise you best then.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this is my only installment account.

I only have two active lines on my report. The RV loan and the Amex Platinum, I am an AU on my wifes WF card and her BCE Amex, and I was just approved for a Cap 1 Quicksilver.  None of the AUs or the Cap 1 has hit my report.  We dont carry a balance so the utilization is less than 5%.  Credit monitoring sites such as thie one are telling me Im taking a ding by not having revolving credit cards so I got the Cap 1 and In a month or two I will apply for another one I'm sure I can get, and then repeat in another two months.

Bad issues are the lates on the RV loan,  one collection and two federal tax liens.  The collection is paid, I'm working on getting it removed, and the tax liens will go away by the end of the year as Im waiting on my final paperwork for an offer in compromise with the IRS and then pay them off.

The loan was originally for around 38k, I owe around 21k

When you say pay it as fast as I can does that mean making my regular payments and additional principal payments until its done?

What do you mean by the share secure loan technique?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My comments below in blue.

joker77c wrote:

Yes this is my only installment account.

I only have two active lines on my report. The RV loan and the Amex Platinum, I am an AU on my wifes WF card and her BCE Amex, and I was just approved for a Cap 1 Quicksilver.  None of the AUs or the Cap 1 has hit my report.  We dont carry a balance so the utilization is less than 5%.  

There's no necessary connection between having a low utilization and whether or not you carry a balance on your cards,  A person can carry a balance every month and have a low utilization, or never carry a balance and have a high utilization most months.

It is good that you are keeping your utilization low.

Credit monitoring sites such as thie one are telling me Im taking a ding by not having revolving credit cards so I got the Cap 1 and In a month or two I will apply for another one I'm sure I can get, and then repeat in another two months.

You should eventually want at least three true credit cards in your own name.  (More than three is nice but not especially helpful.  And a credit card is different from a chrage card like the Amex Platinum.)  The big problem with your scores is your lates, liens, and the collection -- getting more cards won't fix those problems.  You should probably head over to the Rebuilding forum.and get help from the people there.

Bad issues are the lates on the RV loan,  one collection and two federal tax liens.  The collection is paid, I'm working on getting it removed, and the tax liens will go away by the end of the year as Im waiting on my final paperwork for an offer in compromise with the IRS and then pay them off.

The loan was originally for around 38k, I owe around 21k

When you say pay it as fast as I can does that mean making my regular payments and additional principal payments until its done?

Yep, that's what I mean.  Better would have been for me to say "as fast as you like." 

You mention having the money to pay it off completely right now.   If so, I would do the following. 

(1)  Pay off almost all of it, so that your balance is < 9% of the original amount of the loan.  (The original amount of the loan will be listed on the credit report.)  If the original amount was $38,000, then you'd pay it down to $3400. 

(2)  Allow the new balance to appear on your reports.

(3)  Implement the SSL technique.

(4)  Pay off the RV loan.

What do you mean by the share secure loan technique?

This will explain the SSL technique.  You only need to read the first 2-3 posts:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

The second post will give you a better understanding of how installment debt is scored by FICO 8.

Message 4 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

AS with any debt, I would PIF as fast as I could.  Some CCCs get spooked if you have high balances on other cards even if everything is paid on time.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.