Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay over the phone fraud?!

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Pay over the phone fraud?!

Hey everybody! About 2 weeks ago I was in Vegas, stopped by ceasers palace shops and was looking at watches, they told me if I place the order over the phone in my hotel room I can have it shipped to my house or P.O box and not pay my states sales tax (CA 9%) or Nevada taxes.

It got me thinking.... couldn't this be how a lot of fraud happens? It made me uncomfortable thinking about how someone could purchase something that expensive without using EMV chip and showing ID and the representatives actually encourage it! He said "just need the numbers CVV and billing zip code ..
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay over the phone fraud?!

@Creditplz wrote:
Hey everybody! About 2 weeks ago I was in Vegas, stopped by ceasers palace shops and was looking at watches, they told me if I place the order over the phone in my hotel room I can have it shipped to my house or P.O box and not pay my states sales tax (CA 9%) or Nevada taxes.

It got me thinking.... couldn't this be how a lot of fraud happens? It made me uncomfortable thinking about how someone could purchase something that expensive without using EMV chip and showing ID and the representatives actually encourage it! He said "just need the numbers CVV and billing zip code ..

There were a couple of guys at a mall in Southern California that were picked up for fraud doing something like this, they approached me to buy something pretty inexpensive and offered to ship it to me so I could avoid taxes, they wanted cash or could get my cc info, of course - NO CHECKS (lol). I called the police because they didn't appear to actually be working a Kiosk, and it turned out they were grifters. 

So I definitely think this a pretty easy way to commit fraud. Now I don't know if they would do this over the phone, given that they would likely need to have access and be employed there to get to that point, but it's certainly possible.

Message 2 of 3
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay over the phone fraud?!

Oh no, this was the manager of the Rolex store 😂 But I mean on the consumers part.. like if someone stole my CC and knew the most basic info (zip code) they could phone order a 20,000 watch shipped next day.

I suppose it's the store doing this practice so it's them that'll lose money.. but it's scary Smiley Surprised
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.