Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying collection with credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying collection with credit card

I owe around $700 to my college for overpayment of financial aid. I was told my account was deliquient and went into collections in January. It's not on my credit report yet, and my score is still in the low 700s. If I pay this $700 with a credit card, will it stay off of my report? I obviously don't have $700 lying around, but I do have a credit card I can use. The only down side is the interest rate is about 27%.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying collection with credit card

Payment method is irrelevant.  You need to confirm with the CA or whoever is responsible whether or not it will report.

Message 2 of 4
Pway
Valued Contributor

Yes make sure you check with the CRA and make sure that the collection does not report once you make the payment.  I had a collection back in December with my Tuition as well and it was sent to collections.  I contacted them and made sure that it would not report before I made the payment and it did not. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree, I'd think as long as you.contact them and ask them not to report it because you are paying it, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.