cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for credit monitoring? To do or not to do...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying for credit monitoring? To do or not to do...

I almost don't wanna pay the $15 for CCT's credit monitoring, It's like the needed friend right now to keep track of what's on my report, what's coming off and what I need to pay but $15/mo seems like alot to me!  Thoughts? Is it REALLY worth it?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying for credit monitoring? To do or not to do...

Credit Karma is free.
Message 2 of 29
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

I used to utilize CCT & myFICO. I was REALLY obsessed with seeing score movement. How any and everything affected my score. Honestly, it wasn't in my budget. I decided to cancel both. I have 2 major CCs, one of which is a Discover, I get a score  with them and a few store. I use CK because they where significantly lower than my FICOs. ONCE THEY (fakos) ARE HIGH, I know I'm good.

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I almost don't wanna pay the $15 for CCT's credit monitoring, It's like the needed friend right now to keep track of what's on my report, what's coming off and what I need to pay but $15/mo seems like alot to me!  Thoughts? Is it REALLY worth it?

I'm Ok with the 15 a month, maybe not for the long haul, but I feel I need it now.

I'm still in the rebuilding mode and until I can get CCs that give me the true Fico scores for each one, I'd be too nervous without knowing them.

I also want all of the daily monitoring so I can tell if something good happens, and so I can detect when something not so good happens.

I will be in the market for another car in a couple months so I need to be vigilant.  I'll probably also get a 3B report from myFico so I can understand my Fico auto scores too. 

I just think its a necessary expense for now.

HTH

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's only worth it if you want to know what your real credit scores are. For me, that's a yes, and for now it's a non-negotiable monthly expense.
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like CTT and my FICO.
My recent story. It saved my a** a week ago. Got an alert on a new collection. Come to
Find out anothe SS# got attached to my CR. And I ended up with a 1211 collection. I was notified. Called the CRA. Sent over the documents. 2 days later was off my CR.
I had the other SS# removed from my CR.
That in itself was WELL worth it. Imagine if I was going to apply for a mortgage, auto loan, line of credit and I didn't know something was on there. As nevertoolate said its a monthly expense I'm willing to pay....if money every became tight I'd give up something else before I gave up CTT
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on whether you need to see scores or not, or just reports. IMO, you really only need to see scores if you are working towards a specific goal like a mortgage within a certain timeframe.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid one month of MyFico. It was nice to have but found it too expensive for my tastes. I currently have CCT and will keep it for a few more months. As I get additional cards that have a Fico score attached, I will probably drop CCT as well.

I do get alerts from MyFico, Capital One, and CreditKarma.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also contact CCT let them know it cost too much, and they will half the price (for me they did it for one year).
https://www.creditchecktotal.com/
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.