cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for credit monitoring? To do or not to do...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying for credit monitoring? To do or not to do...

@Anonymous wrote:
Also contact CCT let them know it cost too much, and they will half the price (for me they did it for one year).
https://www.creditchecktotal.com/

Imcleaningup already stated during first post they were getting CCT at 15 a month.

I went thru the automated system at CCT to cancel and they offered it to me for 5 years at half price.  I dont know if you could go thru automated system and still get it for 5 years for yourself, if you wanted to extend your offer.   Might have to go thru CSR to get extension. 

Message 11 of 29
elim
Senior Contributor

"Paying for credit monitoring? To do or not to do..."

in today's electronic world you had better pay unless you have access to all 3 reports regularly for free.

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I'll keep it for a couple months. It's not that I cant necessarily afford it, I dont want to afford it. I'm pinching pennies everywhere while I'm rebuilding to teach me better habits. 

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I'll keep it for a couple months. It's not that I cant necessarily afford it, I dont want to afford it. I'm pinching pennies everywhere while I'm rebuilding to teach me better habits. 

Ok, good about pinching pennies.

My advice - buy generic peanut butter and bathroom tissue, but get the genuine Fico scores and monitor those reports!

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I did a BUNCH of stuff for rebuilding in a short time frame, I'm still waiting for it all to catch up.   I'll probably keep my CCT for a few more months so it all reports and I can work on my stupid tax lien.  

That will be gone by Feb or so......then I can see what the final results are and I'll cancel.   Between the scores I get from Discover/AMEX and the fakos from Credit karma, Captial One, Credit.com, etc. .....and at least the free reports on CK.....I'll be able to monitor mostly for free.   Then if something crazy happens I can always go back and do a $1 free trial again......and I'll probably buy the mortgage scores in the Spring - March or April - from MyFico.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gone a little overboard. I pay for MyFico.com and also pay for TU and EX each month. I should probably dial back to just MyFico.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just signed up for MY FICO 2 days ago and I love it. I know its $29.99 per month howver I am almost at my goal of 800 across the board and I am addicted to seeing the scores change and doing anything I can to pick up extra points and see a change. I think its more of a mental thing really by being so close to a goal you want to see positive changes. 

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, if you're re-rebuilding or have credit goals, it is totally worth it. I have a service through USAA and it's only $10-$15/month, but I am thinking about paying for MyFico, it's just $30 and TBH, I waste that much on junk every month lol

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think credit monitoring is essential in the credit rebuilding stage. Fako scores that come with capital one, credit karma, and others do you no good. I really like CCT myself.
Message 19 of 29
ptrain
Regular Contributor

Just speaking personally I am using both 1/2 price for CCT and $29 for MF. It has given me a complete picture of my credit, and that's needed since i have been so obssesed with it,lol.

IMHO, it's the best money I have spent. 

Starting Score: 541 (May 2014)
Current Score: EX:664, EQ:682, TU:698
Goal Score: 700 across the board
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.