cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for insurance only when you "need" it?

tag
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Paying for insurance only when you "need" it?

I have been wondering... have any of you ever signed-up for insurance only when you were in need of a check-up/screening/consultation and then cancelled the insurance plan right after? I am wondering if there would be any negative consequences to this and if this would be a smart way to use insurance while you are a healthy 20-50 year-old.

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Paying for insurance only when you "need" it?

Just to make sure I understand this. You want to get medical insurance when you need something done. Go take care of whatever, pay your co-pay and let the insurance company pay the larger portion of the bill. Then you are going to cancel it after paying only a couple of months premiums max? So now they have to make up that loss somewhere, of people doing this (you didn't think it was an original idea, did you?) so they raise the premiums of all the people that keep their insurance active all the time? They are a business after all and responsible to their shareholders, not a charity. And you really see nothing wrong with doing this?

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 6
compassion101
Established Contributor

Be careful, many times you cannot get medical insurance if you have cancelled a self-insured plan in the last 6-12 months. They share info through systems (MIB.com for instance) just like the credit bureaus do and especially if it is within the same state you may have a real hard time finding someone even willing to take you.

Also beware starting Jan 2014 you will be required to have medical insurance or face government fines/penalties.

Message 3 of 6
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

Be careful, many times you cannot get medical insurance if you have cancelled a self-insured plan in the last 6-12 months. They share info through systems (MIB.com for instance) just like the credit bureaus do and especially if it is within the same state you may have a real hard time finding someone even willing to take you.

Also beware starting Jan 2014 you will be required to have medical insurance or face government fines/penalties.

What if we are just talking about vision/dental insurance?

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

In my case I get all my personal health insurance (medical / dental / vision) through my employer and I can only sign up / cancel at one point in the year for the following year. Unless there is a "Qualifying event" such as marriage or divorce I am not allowed to just randomly drop my coverage. I was aware that the insurance companies keep databases of enrollment / drop / claims history and as mentioned above you can be refused coverage based on the info in the database. I don't know how the new health care regulations affect that in 2013. And I don't know if vision coverage plans maintain the same info. But for those of us under employer plans it's not an issue.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@SportBike4Life wrote:

What if we are just talking about vision/dental insurance?

When I had an employer who asked employees to pay part of their vision insurance we only did vision every other year. I never cancelled it during the year, but I would cancel it every other year. We are a family who does fine with vision checks every other year.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.