cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying in full vs. Settlement w/ 0 balance.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying in full vs. Settlement w/ 0 balance.

I'm considering settling a collection account for $2400, this is reporting on 2 Bureau's and those 2 bureau scores are significantly lower than the 3rd bureau, expecially the Mortgage version of the scores.

my Fico 9 is 640, 625, 628 .

While my Mortgage FICOs are 633, 578, 572

The Higher FICO Mortgage score is the one which this collection is not reported to.

My question is... is there any difference is regards to score whether I settle this account and get it reported at 0 Balance by sending the settlement to the credit bureaus, or settling the debt in Full . I have heard different things regarding this, though they have been non specific and to the effect that mortgage lenders will view settements as more negative, but no one has said for scoring purposes the 2 would have different effects on score.

I have significant off-setting factors besides credit score to qualify for mortgage, My income is high compared to what I will be mortgaging ( 15% DTI mortgage ) and I will be putting 20% down. I believe I just need to get my fico mortgage scores above 620 and I will qualify for conventional financing, but before I touch this debt I wanted to ask here.

Is there any scoring difference in paying a collection in full vs. settling the debt and getting it reported at 0 balance? I don't believe a PFD is on the table, from what I've read this CA will not play ball.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying in full vs. Settlement w/ 0 balance.

If a PFD isn't on the table don't take it.

Open collections are not a deal killer necessarily for many mortgage lenders, and worst case they may make you pay it as a function of closing but hold your cash till that point if indeed they do mandate it's being paid would be my recommendation.

Settlement for less than full, I've heard over the years it's a negative from a credit scoring perspective but I've seen very little actual data to support that; but really, when it comes to collections and mortgage, your best bet is to pay it as late as possible AFTER the lender has done it's pull frankly as paying them can drop your score when the DOLA updates, which is complete crap but it does happen with collections specifically when it comes to FICO scores, including the mortgage trifecta.

I'm taking into account your cash resources, saving money on a $2400 collection isn't the same as being able to settle one of your CO for substantially less and I think the CO's will be more problematic from a mortgage perspective than the collection will be.  How long ago was the collection filed / what's the DOFD if you know it?

        
Message 2 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree. I'm a fan of paying the whole balance if possible for a deletion. Then, if it appears they will never work with you to delete, maybe paying the balance and trying a GW would be next. What I would not want is it to show there is an outstanding debt and I haven't addressed it. I feel like a future lender could see that and it deter them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's interesting, I sometimes forget collections and non-collection charge offs work differently on your score.

This one is just particularly problematic since I believe it's what's causing my mortgage scores to be significantly lower for those 2 bureaus which it's being reported to.

So what I'm wondering is, as my scores are now, I don't qualify for conventional financing, so I feel that I have to do something about this... but you're saying I should just wait and deal with it with like a mortgage broker? How does that work...? Aren't they just going to tell me I don't qualify and that I need to go FHA? Or ... what? Theyre going to tell me to Pay X & Y, but then paying & getting those things reporting properly on my reports would take time, longer than the 30 days for mortgage pull windows. So do they just want to see the payment agreement and copy of the check? If that's the case, how would they know what my score 'would be' with the now settled/paid debts? Am I going to benefit from the higher score of paying these, or would I have had to have done that before my scores were pulled?

Sorry for all the questions, it's all just confusing our credit system is so convoluted & dysfunctional Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I didnt answer your question Rev the DofD is May 2013 I believe, since it's scheduled to drop off Nov 2020 ( it's 7 years + 6 months, right? )

It was a california contract. 4 year SOL, but I now live in Oregon, 6 year SOL.

I've read many, many, many different opinions and read many laws on which SOL applies, & I'm still not completely sure of the answer. Some have said the California one applies since the contract was executed there, some have said the Oregon one applies since that's the jurisdiction I would need to be served/sued, some statutes I've read say if you leave the state before SOL runs it is tolled ( paused ) indefinately. & I've also been sued in California while living in Oregon, though I was never served and settled out of court... when inquiring whether I could be served in Oregon for a california lawsuit, I was told if it's in superior court, I can. Yet if I can be sued in California while living in Oregon, I don't understand the rationale of tolling statute of limitations when people leave a state.

So... I have no freaking idea what the actual SOL is, We have delayed our home purchase to next year both because we would like to age these debts to reduce the likelihood of being sued, because we also need to get our credit into shape since we do not want to do FHA pmi for 10 years, and it allows us to save a full 20% down.

"Most" of our charge offs will be 5 years old when we want to purchase in March'ish next year. That collection account is our 'youngest' one.

Message 5 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Aren't they just going to tell me I don't qualify and that I need to go FHA?

Possibly.  They can also tell your what you need to address, what doesn't concern them, etc but you have to talk to your loan officer versus relying on us.

Don't overlook the Mortgage & Rebuilding subfora as well as their stickies.

Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To put it simply: paying a collection does not help the FICO scores used by the mortgage industry, and it can actually hurt them.  It's utter BS as I mentioned earlier and should've been fixed long ago, but it is an unfortunate fact.

Paying a CO, especially one that is updating monthly, is nothing but goodness: get that line drawn in the sand.  Look at that specifically, if the date of last activity / last update is within the last month or two, get that sorted and forget about the collection for now.

Yeah a CO and a collection are scored differently, collection goes basically in the PR bucket, CO is payment history (mostly apparently maybe in total) so I'm not surprised that there's a score difference between them.  You need to check your records and figure out what the date actually is on the collection though; a CA *should* supply the DOFD when they first assign the collection, but if it's not given the collection defaults to the day it was filed.  

In particular I had one that went to collection years later on a parking ticket, and the DOFD was flatly wrong so it was able to to come off much earlier than was listed after I disputed it based on the DOFD being innaccurate.  Basically the first payment you missed leading up to the debt being collected upon is the DOFD and it's basically 7 years now from that date (7.5 legally but 2/3 and perhaps 3/3 bureaus are at 7 years now probably to prevent stupid screwups getting them sued).  

I also don't know on which jurisdiction is principal for this one, that's a question for a lawyer though I've always heard it was where it was executed and that where you're living now is irrelevant since you'd be sued in the prior court as I understand it.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.