Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off 7 derogatory accounts from now to 10/1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off 7 derogatory accounts from now to 10/1

I am a 28 year old who like many went to college got a couple of degrees and struggled once out of school. It wasnt until the last year anda half  that I have finally gotten on my feet and landed a great paying job. So I am tackling my debts. After pulling my credit report I have made payment plans on 7 of the 9 derogatory accounts and they will be paid in full by 10/1. I will tackle the last two and have those paid off by Jan 1. My question: once October hits when should I expect to see changes to my credit score? Will they be major? 7 of the accounts are in collections and two arecharged off. My current credit score is 446. I have one credit card that is unsecured and in good standing and looking to apply for a secured one in October to help rebuild my score. Is there anything else I should do while trying to tackle the accounts on my credit report? My goal is to get to 600 by January and above 700 by this time next year. Is this doable? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying off 7 derogatory accounts from now to 10/1

Paying generally has little to no impact.  It's removal that you want to go for if possible.  Carefully research in the Rebuilding subforum.  If removal is possible you generally have more leverage if you have not paid as you can use that to negotiate.  If you have paid then all you can do is request a goodwill removal but a creditor or CA isn't obligated to remove valid data.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.