Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off Debt Guidance

tag
SSgtUSMC
New Contributor

Paying off Debt Guidance

Here I am again seeking guidance from you credit/money savants....

I have recently paid off 2 accounts(Personal Loan/1,500 & LOC/1,000) with my taxes(Reports haven't been updated yet to show 0 balance) and I am about to get another 2,000 from a loan that I had out to a friend.  So my dilemma is what to pay next(a few twists so I figured I would come and ask the masses)....

Car Loan(8%) - $2,700 left and pay 525 monthly(will be paid off Sep '10)

Visa(12.9%/10,000 CL) - $5,000 owed

Mlitary Store card(6%/8,500 CL) - $3,600 owed

Chase(6%/3,300 CL) - $900 owed

I am hesitant to pay off my Chase card(6% until Jul '10) although it has lowest balance because I feel like I can pay it off before the 6% APR expires

I will be charging around $1,250 for an upcoming trip(will charge amount in about 2 weeks)

I am also "Looking" to buying a Infiniti G37 (new or certified used) within a month or so..... not really a NEED but a WANT.. a nagging WANT...

So I am personnaly torn between applying the 2,000 towards the Car Loan or the Visa.....

My last Scores pulled were TU - 726 / EQ 698 but these still showed the 2 Loans that I have paid off and several accounts that havent been updated my creditors(balances lower).  My reports also stated "heavy use of revolving credit" and "high balances"... I think I have sort of resolved this issue by paying off the 2 Loans..

As always, ALL guidance/input/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying off Debt Guidance

@SSgtUSMC wrote:

Here I am again seeking guidance from you credit/money savants....

I have recently paid off 2 accounts(Personal Loan/1,500 & LOC/1,000) with my taxes(Reports haven't been updated yet to show 0 balance) and I am about to get another 2,000 from a loan that I had out to a friend.  So my dilemma is what to pay next(a few twists so I figured I would come and ask the masses)....

Car Loan(8%) - $2,700 left and pay 525 monthly(will be paid off Sep '10)

Visa(12.9%/10,000 CL) - $5,000 owed

Mlitary Store card(6%/8,500 CL) - $3,600 owed

Chase(6%/3,300 CL) - $900 owed

I am hesitant to pay off my Chase card(6% until Jul '10) although it has lowest balance because I feel like I can pay it off before the 6% APR expires

I will be charging around $1,250 for an upcoming trip(will charge amount in about 2 weeks)

I am also "Looking" to buying a Infiniti G37 (new or certified used) within a month or so..... not really a NEED but a WANT.. a nagging WANT...

So I am personnaly torn between applying the 2,000 towards the Car Loan or the Visa.....

My last Scores pulled were TU - 726 / EQ 698 but these still showed the 2 Loans that I have paid off and several accounts that havent been updated my creditors(balances lower).  My reports also stated "heavy use of revolving credit" and "high balances"... I think I have sort of resolved this issue by paying off the 2 Loans..

As always, ALL guidance/input/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

My opinion? Always pay off revolving credit before installment credit. I know others have a different view on this and that's fine.

Just my 2 cents.

Semper Fi

Message 2 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I hear ya on the Infiniti, and also on letting the Chase balance ride, but I'd pay off Chase and get the Visa down below 50% first.

Those comments about high revolving util and high balances indicate that you probably won't qualify for the best auto loan rate, because your scores could be higher if you could continue to throw money at those cards. You'll enjoy your new ride more if it's costing you less. Smiley Wink

The "high balances" comment might disappear with the loan payoffs, but the 'heavy use" one won't, because that's referring to your CC's. OK, wait, that might also include the line of credit, if it reported as revolving, which it should.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 5
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

First, good for you paying off the 2 accounts - a step in the right direction for sure!

However, you are still looking at $12,200 in debt.  And you said you have $2,000 coming in...but you are planning on taking a trip for $1,250 soon.

So what I would suggest:

1) use $1,250 of the money coming in for the trip - don't charge any of it

2) use $600 of it to pay off the Chase..I know it's a low interest rate, but still, why hold on to it...plus it'll free up the minimum payment to use elsewhere.

3) stash the remaining $150 in a baby emergency fund...if you are charging so much, you'll need to start a EF...if you do have one already, put the $150 on the Visa, since it has the highest interest rate

4) DO NOT buy another car until the first loan is paid off AND you have at LEAST 5% that you can put down on the car...I know it would be so sweet to get a new Infiniti G37, but it would cost you a lot more than you think, since you have so much other debt. 

Here's my other suggestion as to how to conqur the rest of the debt:

With Chase paid off...apply minimum you were paying on that to Visa in addition to whatever you pay now.  Try to find enough in your budget to start saving for that new car/next trip/emergency...you need to save for these things, not charge them.

When the car loan is paid off in Sept, put that $525 a month on the Visa in addition to the chase and current payment...that should be around $650/mo on the visa now, I think?  Thus it should be paid in March, 2011...then, take all that and put it on the rest of the Military Store card and pay that off...thus, by July, 2011 you should be debt free!  Take two months to build up that 5% down payment (you should have almost $700 a month freed up now) and buy yourself that new or slightly used Infiniti around Sept. 2011 knowing it's your only debt.  And remain credit card debt free!

Sorry for the long post, but I really think it's important for you to think long term about how to get rid of all your debt and not add a ton more.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I agree on using the 1250 of the 2000 for the trip use remainder to pay down the VISA card.  I would wait on the car until some other debt is lower.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.