cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off credit cards dropped my score by 15 points!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off credit cards dropped my score by 15 points!

i recently paid off 2credit card balances in full and my credit dropped by 15 points. How can this be? Everybody says to pay off debt to raise it so I am confused. It also lists in the reasons why my credit score is good the fact that I had used my credit card lately. I am so confused. 

Im trying to get a mortgage. I can't keep having my scores drop. Any advice?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
1eyebandit
Valued Member

Re: Paying off credit cards dropped my score by 15 points!

@Anonymous wrote:

i recently paid off 2credit card balances in full and my credit dropped by 15 points. How can this be? Everybody says to pay off debt to raise it so I am confused. It also lists in the reasons why my credit score is good the fact that I had used my credit card lately. I am so confused. 

Allow one card to report with a balance between 1 and 9 percent.  Then pay then balance in full.

Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Everybody says to pay off debt to raise it so I am confused.

Everyone does not.  Be careful with your research.  Always consider your sources, validate, corrborate, etc.

Revolving utilization is a very common topic and the general recommendations are:

• Do not exceed 30%.
  • Lower is generally better but you do not want all 0 balances reporting as there is a hit for that.
  • To optimize when applying allow only one balance to report at 10% or less.
  • You can reduce reported balance by paying prior to report date.  If leaving a balance to report pay the remainder of the statement balance in full by the due date.

It is also possible that you're assuming causality and other factors may be at play as well.  To understand the cause(s) of any scoring change you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't fret over score changes due to revolving utilization.  Adjust it correctly and it will update next month.  You scores will recover a bit once you're not at all zero balances.

Keep in mind that the scores you're pulling may not be the same ones that a mortgage lender will pull for you.  There can be a significant difference depending on the model you're relying on and the one the lender uses.  IIRC myFICO is offering additional scores used by some mortgage lenders but if you want to rely on scores you need to understand what CRA and scoring model the creditor you're applying to uses.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to keep in mind the difference between paying in full and letting something hit your statement. Paying in full is done to prevent interest from accruing after the grace period. The grace period lasts from when the statement cuts to when the bill is due, usually 2-3 weeks later. 

What people are recommending is that you pay all but ONE card down to zero before the statement cut date, so that those cards cut at zero. Your ONE remaining card you pay down to between 1% and 9% utilization. That remainder (the 1-9%), you pay after the statement cut date, but before the due date, so that you have "Paid in full" and don't accrue any interest. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to keep in mind the difference between paying in full and letting something hit your statement. Paying in full is done to prevent interest from accruing after the grace period. The grace period lasts from when the statement cuts to when the bill is due, usually 2-3 weeks later. 

What people are recommending is that you pay all but ONE card down to zero before the statement cut date, so that those cards cut at zero. Your ONE remaining card you pay down to between 1% and 9% utilization. That remainder (the 1-9%), you pay after the statement cut date, but before the due date, so that you have "Paid in full" and don't accrue any interest. 

+1

1) Find out the statement cut date for all of your cards

2) Pay off all card balances before their respective statement cut date EXCEPT for one card

3) For this one exception card, make sure that its balance is paid down to between 1%-9% before its statement cut date.  Re-iterating: Do not pay this card down to 0...the balance needs to be between 1%-9% so that when the statement cut date comes, that is the amount that is reported.

4) Once this statement cut date passes, pay this card down to 0.  Do this before the due date so that you do not accrue any interest.

Message 5 of 7
CraigHwk
Regular Contributor

I accidentally let all my cards report 0 and my EX score dropped 18 points today.  Ouch.  At least it'll bounce back immediately when a card reports a balance. 

USAA MC ✪ Amex BCP, SPG, Platinum ✪ Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Marriott Rewards, United Explorer ✪ Discover IT ✪ CapOne QS ✪ Fidelity Visa ✪ BarclaysPlatinum Rewards ✪ Citi Double Cash

Starting EX FICO (2010): 513 | Current FICO: EX 759, EQ: 773, TU: 761
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CraigHwk wrote:

I accidentally let all my cards report 0 and my EX score dropped 18 points today.  Ouch.  At least it'll bounce back immediately when a card reports a balance. 

OP, that is the benefit of this probalby being a utilization issue. Utilization has no memory, so once you let a statement cut with a balance, your score will come right back up. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.