cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off debt under 50%...how long till I see score difference?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off debt under 50%...how long till I see score difference?

My cards are approx 95% maxed out and I'm going to pay them off to under 50% in the next month or so and then to 9% in 3 months. How long is it going to take to see some serious reflection in my scores and how much? I am looking to buy a house the beginning of 2009.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off debt under 50%...how long till I see score difference?

You will see the new balances reflected in your scores once the new balances are reflected on your reports.  That will happen after all of the creditors report to the CRAs on their normal monthly reporting schedules, and then the CRAs update your reports with the new balances, which could be 3-10 days or so after the creditors report (usually).

Message Edited by cheddar on 04-08-2008 03:50 PM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's instantaneous in regards to paying off debt? My score could jump 50-100 points or soemthing liek that? I have no collections or anything. Never been late.
Message 3 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

kfinkmortgage wrote:
So it's instantaneous in regards to paying off debt? My score could jump 50-100 points or soemthing liek that? I have no collections or anything. Never been late.

It is instantaneous once the creditor reports and the CRA posts the report to your CR.

FICO is a snapshot in time - no history involved.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

kfinkmortgage wrote:

If you have no baddies at all, and you're going from 95% to 9%, I'll go out on a limb and predict 100+.

Don't quote me on that! Smiley Tongue

Do you know your current scores?

Message Edited by cheddar on 04-08-2008 04:03 PM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not but thank you very much for your help!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.