cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment to Original Creditor vs.Collection Agency?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment to Original Creditor vs.Collection Agency?

Greetings Everyone,

I have enjoyed this site thus far; while learning a great deal in regards to credit repair/scores. I have a question already Smiley Tongue . If a debt has been assigned to a collection agency, but the original creditor still owns the debt, is it possible to make payment to the oc, if they they tell you via phone that cannot accept your payment and to contact the collection agency?? Yet in the same phone call, the oc admitts to ownership of the debt. All responses will be appreciated. ( I'm trying to avoid contact with the collection agencies if at all possible)

Thankya kindly,

Message Edited by ThisDernCredit on 12-03-2007 12:10 PM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payment to Original Creditor vs.Collection Agency?

Fist DV the CA

Once you hear from then with full & accurate validation  then try to PFD the OC
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the prompt reply Lady_Scarlet.  I guess I skipped all over that step. I called the OC, and requested proof/statement, because I don't recall owing a balance to them. She said she would send it and that I could contact the CA for payment. And she also verified that the CA did not own the debt.
Message 3 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

With debt that is only assigned to a CA, it's always best to try to PFD with the OC first as it will kill 2 birds with 1 stone.   Some you will have no problem with, some need prodding, and some are nearly impossible to work with in this instance but it's always worth your time to try.  Don't play with anything where the SOL is coming up though without some research.

With any DV's to the CA, be prepared to pay up if they are validated and within SOL.  While it is your right to request DV, it can often cause you to be sued once the debt is validated.  Use it wisely.  

Never discuss anything over the phone with a CA.  Try not to make payments, wait till you can PIF or with an arranged settlement with a PFD letter that has been responded to.  Writing to the OC might be more helpful than dealing with a CSR over the phone, and you do want it all in writing anyway.

If you are dealing with a particular OC let us know who.  Someone might have dealt with the same situation and be able to help you out.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are a SmartCookie. Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am trying to find out the sol for north carolina. and also i am having a hard time with cap1 with reaging my DLA from 11-2000 and now it is 2-2008.  should i do a dv letter to cap1.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't DV an OC.  Well, you 'can' - but they don't have to comply. 

Dispute with the CRAs - wait for verification, the ask the OC to investigate (not validate)  If you need an OC investigation letter PM me - I have posted it probably 20 times in the last 2 weeks..so also search post for it.
Message 7 of 10
djshabazz
Valued Member

I sent a DV to a CA for $100.00 co-pay for a visit to the ER in 2005.  I refused to pay it after I waited in the ER for several hours and seen only for 10 minutes.  The doctor ran zero tests, told me I had chicken pox and to stay out of work for two weeks.  Come to find out that I didn't have chicken pox but had a hypersensitive reaction to flea bites.  I had just moved into a new apartment.  I have DV'd the CA as they won't delete the file even if I pay it.  Could or would they actually sue me for a $100.00 bogus co-pay that I disputed as un-authorized?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL for N.C.

all 3 years except Promissory note!!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wait until you receive account history from OC. That will tell you where you stand with SOL.

If within SOL the OC or (if allowed in your state) the CA can sue.

Always know your SOL before doing anything!!!!

If past SOL or you are ready to pay:

Dispute with CRAs  the OC

DV the CA   CMRRR

If they answer be ready to send a PFD

Never sign a DV!!! type your name........never talk to them...everything in writting!

You can also MAIL a PFD to the OC.....what they say on phone doesn't always mean anything.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-04-2007 02:03 PM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.