theshadow1234

Payoff Debts now or wait 1 yearto fall off?

Payoff Debts now or wait 1 yearto fall off? and.....

If an  account is sold to a collection agency after the date it is closed from the origianl creditor,  can it still remain on my report for another 7 years with the collection agency?

Thanks
TS
Established Contributor
dog

Re: Payoff Debts now or wait 1 yearto fall off?

i have been waiting for mine to fall off (all by jan 08), but i havent really been in the market for any loans that my baddies would keep me from getting.  if you are looking into a mortgage within the year, you should try a pfd.

and no, the baddies are to drop 7 years after the dofd, even if sold to a collection agency.
Valued Member
destinyschild

It really all depends on your situation. If you are in the market for credit then you can try a PFD (if the amount is reasonably within your means) or you can wait it out. Look at your overall all credit picture, establish goals and work toward them methodically.
Frequent Contributor
jenkins

so if you have something on ur account and you dont pay it after 7 years it still comes off regardless?

Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

jenkins wrote:
so if you have something on ur account and you dont pay it after 7 years it still comes off regardless?

Yep. +/- 180 days
Established Contributor
dog

all of mine tend to come off right at the 7 year point.  i did dispute some that were 3-4 months from the 7 year point and they dropped.  sol in my state is 5 years, but you might want to make sure you are out of your state's sol before you monkey around with them.
Frequent Contributor
jenkins

[ Edited ]
man, so they have no effect on ur score after 7 years? their not like hiding in a closet or anything waiting for you to apply for a credit card and then they come out of no where?

Message Edited by jenkins on 06-27-2007 04:11 PM

Established Contributor
dog

they go away.  if they dont, it is a violation.
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

theshadow1234 wrote:
If an  account is sold to a collection agency after the date it is closed from the origianl creditor,  can it still remain on my report for another 7 years with the collection agency?

OC can sell it to a CA, who sells it a CA, who sells it to another CA, who sells it to a JDB, and so on.

Does not change the DOFD, under law. Although sometimes debts get illegally re-aged.

If you have reports from the CRAs, they often show "This is scheduled to remain until <month> <year>"

If not, you can call the CRAs and ask them for the DOFD (Date Of First Delinquency). They store it but generally don't report it.

7 years from DOFD, it goes bye-bye. Like Tuscani said +/- 180 days.

Frequent Contributor
jenkins

well i paid everything i had off, but even if they dont get deleted they will be gone soon, i thought that you had to pay them off for them to go bye bye after 7 years, wow my wife should see an improvement in her score soon.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+