Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Personal Loan Approval!

tag
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

PenFed Personal Loan Approval!

Just wanted to share for anyone curious... Originally apped for an NFCU personal loan for $9,000 but was approved at a rate of 18% (yikes!). Was a little shocked considering I have a CC ($15,000) and CLOC ($8,000) both at zero balances, with overall UTIL at 12% and scores at 770 range. I turned the approval down and thought maybe I'd try for PenFed, whom I just have a share account with a very low balance of $20. Apped over the phone for the same $9,000, 10 minutes later the rep came back with an approval for their lowest rate at 9.99%! Very happy. The loan is essentially to consolidate two cc's, and I told the rep that, not sure if that made a difference. Both are great CU's, but PenFed pulled through for me this time!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
NYFan63
Established Contributor

Re: PenFed Personal Loan Approval!

@Glkslngr wrote:

Just wanted to share for anyone curious... Originally apped for an NFCU personal loan for $9,000 but was approved at a rate of 18% (yikes!). Was a little shocked considering I have a CC ($15,000) and CLOC ($8,000) both at zero balances, with overall UTIL at 12% and scores at 770 range. I turned the approval down and thought maybe I'd try for PenFed, whom I just have a share account with a very low balance of $20. Apped over the phone for the same $9,000, 10 minutes later the rep came back with an approval for their lowest rate at 9.99%! Very happy. The loan is essentially to consolidate two cc's, and I told the rep that, not sure if that made a difference. Both are great CU's, but PenFed pulled through for me this time!

Congrats!  Good job shopping the rates...thanks for sharing.

Penfed Platinum Sig Visa $33k, PenFed PLOC $25k, NFCU Cash VISA Sig 22k, NFCU Visa Flagship 22k, CAP1 Venture $23k, CAP1 Venture One $15k, NFCU NAV Check $15k, Barclays Arrival $13,2k, DCU VISA 5k, Cap1 QS 7.5k, WF Finance 3.5k, Merrick 2.2k, Barclays Apple Financing 6.1k BestBuy 5k >Ch7 BK filed 8/09; DC 01/10 EQ 636 Nov 13;
EQ08 718 | TU 731 | EXP 728
Inqs: EQ 11, TU 8, EXP 11(last 2 yrs)
Goal 750+ In the Garden til

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Research

Congratz on Approval & rate!

Message 3 of 14
Appleman
Valued Contributor

PenFed 1 - NFCU - 0

Congrats on knowing you deserved a better rate.

Message 4 of 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

Always great to have choices. Which is why I am a member multiple CUs. Nice job!
Message 5 of 14
SUMRFUN
Established Member

Congrats on your approval!

As of 7/22: FICO EX-794 EQ-792 TU-798
Total Credit Limits $255K = Credit util 1% overall AAoA 5.2 years...All thanks to the forum!
Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great job, im gonna stow that away in the mental locker, always check on best rates, not married to any one institutionSmiley Happy check!!
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Penfed if my favorite CU. Have almost $100K exposure with them Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you dont mind me asking, what CRA did they pull from?

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a difference in rates! It seems you are a better credit risk to PenFed?! Glad you shopped!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.