Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissable Purpose Dentist?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Permissable Purpose Dentist?

Ok, So I took my daughter to the dentist and she needed a lot of work.  I have insurance and the estimated amount that wouldn't be covered was $300.  I wrote them a check and that was that.   I find today that they pulled my credit report.  I never applied for dental payment plans that dentists offer... what gives them the permissable purpose to pull my credit?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Permissable Purpose Dentist?

WHAT!!!!  I'd definitely be screaming about this!!!! 
Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to fishbjc. Fix it or give me my files as I'll take my teeth elsewhere!
Message 3 of 8
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

This is actually a new trend that the health care sector is catching on to. The purpose of obtaining the credit file is not for payment plans. Many practices are now pulling credit to determine whether or not patients should pay an upfront down payment, deposit, or w.e. before a procedure. Due to substantial increase in delinquent medical receivables, the healh care industry is taking on new measures. MinnesotaJ, by any chance did you see a clause in the paperwork that said something like "you authorize us to obtain information from credit reporting agencies?"
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

no clauses....they aren't open today or monday for the holiday....they'll definately have a piece of my mind on tuesday....again..I never even asked them to bill me....

i paid up front...    grrrrrrr

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not call them. I would mail them the No PP letter  CMRRR.  This way it will confuse them (they have no idea what they are doing)  and starts your paper trail if needed!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok this is the best pediatric dentist I have ever seen.  Daughter is 4 y/o had 3 child crowns 1 filling and 4 front teeth pulled...they did it in less than 2 hours and she only cried a couple times.  (note we aren't horrible parents... the other two kids 5 and 2 aren't crazy tooth decay)   She raved about watching a movie while it was done and she likes the dentist.  My goal isn't to screw them out of money...it's to get this credit pull off my reports...  I'll go in nicely and see what they say... if they mess with me I'll talk to the dentist personally and if they play hardball I'll probably drop it as it's not worth it...  I'll let you know how it goes but I think I am not about to go gung ho and sue happy on them.
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Nevertheless, get familiar with the non-PP info, especially the bit about $1000 for each violation. You can present it as an "I'm sure you're not aware of this, but you could be laying yourself open for some serious legal penalties." Smiley Wink

The dentist probably went to a convention and saw something about this and came back and implemented it.

I always dread when our docs go to conventions. They come back with all these whacko ideas that we have to beat out of their heads. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.