Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Data Your Bank / Credit Union Shares

tag
K9Veteran
Established Member

Personal Data Your Bank / Credit Union Shares

Hello, I have a question about just how much personal data is reported to Transunion, Equifax, Experian and other 3rd parties by our banks, credut unions or other creditor.

I understand the obvious, NAME,  ADDRESS, SS #, DATE OF BIRTH,  EMPLOYER, INCOME, PREVIOUS ADDRESS, but what else do they share ?

I ask because the ONE thing I don´t want given out is my cell phone number. The obvious answer is DON´T GIVE IT TO THEM, however in not doing so, I can´t sign up for immediate ¨Alerts¨ to my cell phone offered from the credit union for possible fraud, low balance etc. I want to sign up for these services but have not done so for fear of my cell number being plastered all over the credit reports and sold to 3rd parties.

I am also curious if they fork over the name of your spouse or kids and their information.

I don´t have anything to hide, it´s just a matter of wanting to retain SOME bit of privacy in this digital age.

Any suggestions on what NOT to give a creditor / bank / credit union would also be appreciated. ?

THANKS, AND GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal Data Your Bank / Credit Union Shares

My understanding is yes, they do share your phone number.  

I don't think they share your employer info.   I think that appears on your credit report when your employer reports it /  outsources HR questions.

If you have any joint accounts / AU's with your spouse, those would be be shared.  Although, checking/savings would be shared with ChexSystem, not the normal CRA's.

The CRA's pay to get other public records (marriage records, property records, vehicle registration, etc).   So they know who your spouse and kids are.   There are even databases gathering who your friends are on facebook, etc. 

Message 2 of 3
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal Data Your Bank / Credit Union Shares

Given how much data gets aggregated nowadays, even information that you or your bank DON'T give out can easily end up with anybody from CRAs to data brokers to the NSA. Regarding the cellphone, you might want to consider getting a cheap throaway phone and using that as your phone number for all financial business while keeping your main phone private.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.