Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan APRs

tag
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Personal Loan APRs

Hey All,
I was checking some personal loan pre approval sites like Lending tree and I got the following results:

Avant - 35.99%
Prosper - 28.99%
Golden - 32.99%

Are APR usually that high for personal loans or are the companies on LendingTree/CreditKarma just loan sharks?

Scores: 699, 701, 707

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal Loan APRs

Loan shark-ish. CU will give you much better rates. Those rates are just insane and desperate. Don't do it!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 11
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't know for sure. Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

DCU advertises 8.5% on their site which is probably their best rate, but still closer to the truth as far as prime lending rates.

Message 4 of 11
medo
Frequent Contributor

Go to a CU.  I obtaind a LOC a few years ago when my credit was sub-par and was approved for a $5k LOC at 14.25%.

Avant and the likes are for those who don't know any better.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditconcept wrote:
Hey All,
I was checking some personal loan pre approval sites like Lending tree and I got the following results:

Avant - 35.99%
Prosper - 28.99%
Golden - 32.99%

Are APR usually that high for personal loans or are the companies on LendingTree/CreditKarma just loan sharks?

Whatever you do, do NOT app with Lending Tree. All they do is harvest applications and pass them along to a big list of lenders, many of whom will hard pull your reports. Avant, Prosper, and Lending Club are fine and are all Web Bank. Don't know who Golden is.

Message 6 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@creditconcept wrote:
Hey All,

Avant - 35.99%
Prosper - 28.99%
Golden - 32.99%

well they won't break your arm to get their money back. so no. not loan sharks. but bordering usary for sure. as other has stated go to credit union. i just got loan 2 weeks ago. at 11.99 percent. not bad at all. 4 year installment on 5k. about 124. per month.

Message 7 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

@creditconcept wrote:
Hey All,

Avant - 35.99%
Prosper - 28.99%
Golden - 32.99%

I have a small loan, 15K, through Prosper and my APR is around 5-6%.

Message 8 of 11
slickshoes182
New Contributor

A lot of credit unions offer periodic promotional rates. The lowest I am aware of at the moment is Western FCU's 2.99% for 1 year loans, 3.99% for 2 year loans, 4.99% for 3 year loans ( https://www.western.org/spring-loan ). I think you need a 740 FICO to get Western's best rate. If you have your credit score handy you can call/e-mail/etc until someone tells you what APR your FICO would qualify you for there. Western FCU membership is open to anyone after a donation to a charity.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

These rates seem abnormally high considering the credit score you applied with. I wouldn't recommend getting a personal loan at those rates. There are good personal loan companies you  can use that won't charge high rates like that. The previous comments about "Loan Sharks" usually pertain to misleading marketing. Companies like RISE have marketing that leads you to believe they are helping when in fact they are offering triple digit interest rates. Always check to make sure you know what interest rate you're getting before you commit. Always do the math. 

If a rate is higher than you like, simply don't get the loan until you find a good rate. If you can't find a good rate anywhere, something must be triggering the underwriting that you may want to consider handling before you get a loan. Identify the trigger and it may help you get a lower rate.  

Hope this is helpful! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.