Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan Advice?

tag
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Personal Loan Advice?

I know this is the CC area, but not sure where else to post this as there is no dedicated personal loan spot.. Any advice is appreciated!

My little step-sister is currently looking for a 2k loan to pay off a lease her roommates defaulted on (it's in her name). Where should she go for best approval odds?
(She banks with Chase but they said they don't do personal loans, so they suggested she try a credit union..)

Her stats:

She is 25, lives in Manhattan, earns 45k.
Fico is 673
Only 1 cc- Gap, $500, reporting 85% util
Student loans 75k always paid on time
No baddies

Thanks MyFico!
Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: Personal Loan Advice?

Tell her to try Lending Club. I am sure for 2000$, she can get approved easily.

Message 2 of 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

I would suggest that she talk to a local CU.  I expect they would be able to help her.

The Credit Card Connection web site has lists of CUs by geographical region, and it would be a good place to start.

Message 3 of 13
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

user5387-

She contacted a few places but there apparently aren't many credit unions in Manhattan, and they are busy and don't really take time for small fries like her. I think we are looking for someplace she can apply remotely? So we will check the site you mentioned...

Also

Message 4 of 13
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the tip Ibmrad7! We will check it out Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

She should pay down the gap card if she can afford it before apping for any loan. It is likely to get her score into prime ish territory if gap card at sub 10%. Also as FYI, she should consider another credit card or two to help build her score long term. Short term might be small hit
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 13
navyox
Regular Contributor

I would definitely recommending taking a look at Lending Club.    I got a very competitive rate and the loan was fully funded the morning they listed it.   Definitely worth a look.  From another forum I frequent I hear that the amount of people looking for loan versus looking to lend has been going down, so between that and the amount, I think it would be almost a guaranteed shot.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 7 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Tell her to run pre-qual on chase, citi, and discover... Apply for any offers that come up!
Capital one too

Then just balance transfer the balance to one of the new cards.
Message 8 of 13
bigbang91
Established Contributor

try WF, my sis got approved for 15k loan for 9% interest.

Message 9 of 13
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Update: Personal Loan Advice?

OK,

She apped through Lending Club and was denied do to "insufficient number of revolving accounts." Score was a 651 through TU.

Any other ideas anyone?

I know Navyox said WF. Hesitant to have her try too many more places because obviously the  more pulls she has the lower her odds/score.

???  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.