Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan Ideal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Loan Ideal?

Hey guys, here´s my current situation:

I have around $12.5k in CC debt spread over 3 cards that have 0% APR until April. I usually pay around $1800/month and planned on getting a Balance Transfer CC when the 0% APR expired. The plan was to finish paying the whole debt before the end of the year (probably 3-4 months before).

Because life is sometimes very unpredictable, now I need to look for a new place to rent (ASAP..in the next month or so) and I also have plans to refinance my car loan. To get the best of the best I need to improve my score and I would also like to free up a little money each month. I´m in the 640-650 range, around 57% CU. I think paying off my CC debt would bump my score to the 740-750 range (according to a few calculators, including Credit Karma).

I found a few personal loans that would get rid of my debt, give me a decent monthly payment compared to what I´m currently paying on Credit Cards (I could pretty much double it and get rid of the debt faster). I also think getting a Balance Transfer Card would still have my CC utilization high and keep my score kinda low, besides the fact that I don´t believe I could get one for that amount of money. Please correct me if I´m mistaken.

What do you guys think? Get a personal loan right now (3 year, around 14% APR which I would probably pay fully in 1.5-2 years), bump my score and get some applications for rent after all my CC´s report $0 balance or do you have anything in mind? I know ideally I should wait to get my balance down until April when the promotional APR in my credit cards finish but that is not an option, as I need to apply for apartments soon. I have a little over 2 year credit history and I´ve asked at a few places and most think that I would probably not be approved with my credit score and history. I have a fairly decent and stable income, this would be my very first personal loan. I´ve also been getting pre approvals from Prosper, among others.

Thank you guys in advanced.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Personal Loan Ideal?

Anyone?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Personal Loan to Manage CC Debt

@Anonymous wrote:

Also posted this on the Personal Finance forum but it involves Credit Card debt so maybe I get some help here!

I have around $12.5k in CC debt spread over 3 cards that have 0% APR until April. I usually pay around $1800/month and planned on getting a Balance Transfer CC when the 0% APR expired. The plan was to finish paying the whole debt before the end of the year (probably 3-4 months before).

Because life is sometimes very unpredictable, now I need to look for a new place to rent (ASAP..in the next month or so) and I also have plans to refinance my car loan. To get the best of the best I need to improve my score and I would also like to free up a little money each month. I´m in the 640-650 range, around 57% CU. I think paying off my CC debt would bump my score to the 740-750 range (according to a few calculators, including Credit Karma).

I found a few personal loans that would get rid of my debt, give me a decent monthly payment compared to what I´m currently paying on Credit Cards (I could pretty much double it and get rid of the debt faster). I also think getting a Balance Transfer Card would still have my CC utilization high and keep my score kinda low, besides the fact that I don´t believe I could get one for that amount of money. Please correct me if I´m mistaken.

What do you guys think? Get a personal loan right now (3 year, around 14% APR which I would probably pay fully in 1.5-2 years), bump my score and get some applications for rent after all my CC´s report $0 balance or do you have anything in mind? I know ideally I should wait to get my balance down until April when the promotional APR in my credit cards finish but that is not an option, as I need to apply for apartments soon. I have a little over 2 year credit history and I´ve asked at a few places and most think that I would probably not be approved with my credit score and history. I have a fairly decent and stable income, this would be my very first personal loan. I´ve also been getting pre approvals from Prosper, among others.

First, these two statements are incompatible. If you have 0% apr, you're paying no interest. That effectively minimizes your monthly payment for getting rid of it in a certain timeframe. You can't pay interest, reduce the payment AND shorten the timeframe. 

Second. it is hard to evaluate you without knowing what your loan rate is and what costs may be associated with the car loan. Because of the relatively low values of car loans, even a couple percent different usually only results in $20-$30 extra per month. You may find that it isn't worth it to refinance.

Third, 14% is a very high APR. If you go down this route, you need to make sure that you can prepay the loan. Some loans do not permit prepayment, which forces you to pay the entire interest amount.

On the other hand, I can't see you getting a 0% BT card with a sufficient credit to cover your debt. Your best bet may be to find a card with a good SL that has a 12-15 month intro period and then pay the 3% BT fee to take advantage of it. This will affect your utilization, but will probably save you money in the long run.

Bottom line, you'll have to sit down and crunch the numbers to figure it out. However, as you pay off the CCs, your scores should pop. I would be wary of trusting CK (or any other estimator), but I do think you should receive a significant boost as you pay them off. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a person who has done this before. Please realize that if you have the personal loan but keep using your credit cards you will ultimately incur more debt and not pay off your existing. If getting the personal loan you plan to NOT use your cards until it is COMPLETELY paid off then go for it but if that is not your plan I wouldnt do it. It can be a slippery slope unless you have a solid plan to pay off the debt. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This board doesn't get a lot of traffic, so you're better off with the CC board listing. Just as an FYI, it's against the rules to cross post. Due to the low traffic on this board, it probably isn't a big deal, but you should know about it. I posted on the CC forum for you.

Message 5 of 14
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As a person who has done this before. Please realize that if you have the personal loan but keep using your credit cards you will ultimately incur more debt and not pay off your existing. If getting the personal loan you plan to NOT use your cards until it is COMPLETELY paid off then go for it but if that is not your plan I wouldnt do it. It can be a slippery slope unless you have a solid plan to pay off the debt. 

Totally agree with this ^^. The problem with personal loans is that many people do indeed dig themselves a deeper hole debt wise. It takes incredible discipline to take a personal loan to pay off credit cards and to not use those cards until the loan is paid off. I'm not saying OP is not capable of exercising this discipline but it's something that should be considered. The last thing you want to do is end up doubling your debt and completely tanking your score. Choose wisely and look at all your options before making this type of financial commitment. 

Message 6 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there OP,  I have combined your duplicate thread into one and moved it to the General Credit Forum. Please refrain from cross posting in the future it can lead to confusion by the members and it isnt inline with our TOS. I thank you for your understanding on this.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your goal is to increase your score because apartment managers will be pulling your credit, that isn't necessary. They don't care about the score; they'e just looking for recent BK's or CO and collections related to rentals.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, I apologize for the cross board posting.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Also posted this on the Personal Finance forum but it involves Credit Card debt so maybe I get some help here!

First, these two statements are incompatible. If you have 0% apr, you're paying no interest. That effectively minimizes your monthly payment for getting rid of it in a certain timeframe. You can't pay interest, reduce the payment AND shorten the timeframe. 

Second. it is hard to evaluate you without knowing what your loan rate is and what costs may be associated with the car loan. Because of the relatively low values of car loans, even a couple percent different usually only results in $20-$30 extra per month. You may find that it isn't worth it to refinance.

Third, 14% is a very high APR. If you go down this route, you need to make sure that you can prepay the loan. Some loans do not permit prepayment, which forces you to pay the entire interest amount.

On the other hand, I can't see you getting a 0% BT card with a sufficient credit to cover your debt. Your best bet may be to find a card with a good SL that has a 12-15 month intro period and then pay the 3% BT fee to take advantage of it. This will affect your utilization, but will probably save you money in the long run.

Bottom line, you'll have to sit down and crunch the numbers to figure it out. However, as you pay off the CCs, your scores should pop. I would be wary of trusting CK (or any other estimator), but I do think you should receive a significant boost as you pay them off. 

Thank you for your reply. I will answer back in parts:

1. Regarding the incompatible statements - what I meant was that I found a few loans that would make my monthly alloted credit card payments down, of course with a longer term. My urgency was because I'm apartment/house hunting right now and I was worried a low score due to utilization would make them decline me.

2. The personal loan would be for CC debt, not for car refinancing although I plan on doing that in the near future (if it's worth it like you mentioned).

3. The first thing I notice when researching is exactly that, and the few loans I've seen allow prepayments. If I get a 3 year loan I will definitely pay it off in at least 1.5-2 years. 

4. Thank you for the advice, I know it's kind of tricky due to my current score. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.