Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan

tag
cet2062
Valued Member

Personal Loan

Hi, not sure if this is where I'm supposed to post this or not! 

I am a student and my parents are sort of struggling financially. Their credit is not that great, but it is starting to rebuild. I was just wondering the chances of getting a personal loan from a credit union? What do they generally look for, the loan amount wouldn't be substantial as I don't make that much money. I would only want a small loan of 500-1000 because like I said I want to help my parents out but also I think it'd be a great way to build me some credit by having a loan installment account.

I currently have two credit cards, Bank of America Student Platinum Plus (600 limit) and a Belk card (200). BoA card has balance of 72 and Belk has balance of 0!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal Loan

It really varies from CU to CU.  Best thing to do is walk in and talk with a loan officer.  Most CU have excellent customer service and will be more than happy to tell you what their requiremetns are and what options you may have.  It would be a good way of helping your credit history as well.  Adding and installment account to your credit mix will be a positive.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Personal Loan

First of all, aside from any other issues, I must comment that I am impressed with your willingness to accrue your own debt to assist your parents. That is not a mindset often seen in youth today.

As for approval process, are you currently employed? Without securing the loan by other personal property, such as with an auto loan, I would imagine that your income will be a major factor in evaluating their risk. For the same reason they will be evaluating your risk, think seriously about your ability to make all payments timely. One late will destroy your score. I agree with prior posts.... talk to them. I think you will have a better shot with a CU than a major bank.

As for FICO impact, it might not be that significant. It will first hit you for a new inquiry in the application process, and then if approved, will enter into your AAoA calculation with an age of 0. Yes, it will improve your mix of credit, which will be balanced against the inq and AAoA hit. So together, I would not expect significant impact. If the loan is short-term, it will most likely be paid and closed before you need your score for future purposes, so the mix of active installment credit will be short-lived. I doubt that it will hurt or help much, either short or long term.

My primary concern would not be short-term FICO impact, but rather the chance of long-term and serious damage should you miss a payment.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.