Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call from law firm.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phone call from law firm.

I recently recieved a phone call from a gentleman representing a law firm. It was regarding a credit card account thru Chase bank. I am self employed and recently had some very slow paying customers. I fell 60 days behind on this account. The gentleman stated the account was sent to them because it was considered a slow pay. I've had the account for about 5 years now and did fall behind before but I caught up and paid the balance in full. He's stating that Chase wants payment in full 18,000.00 now or they will pursue further action. Currently they reduced the rate from 29.9% to 0%. I have recieved nothing in the mail from this particular law firm or have I recieved anything from Chase regarding payment in full. It has been over 2 weeks since the initial contact from the law firm. Shouldn't I have recieved someting? Also what is my best course of action to handle this. My current score is a 577 and I own my home with about 45,000 in equity. Any help is appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Phone call from law firm.

First thing you need to do is call Chase. If your account isn't closed or charged off then you need to find out why you are getting calls.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

legacy1988 wrote:
I recently recieved a phone call from a gentleman representing a law firm. It was regarding a credit card account thru Chase bank. I am self employed and recently had some very slow paying customers. I fell 60 days behind on this account. The gentleman stated the account was sent to them because it was considered a slow pay. I've had the account for about 5 years now and did fall behind before but I caught up and paid the balance in full. He's stating that Chase wants payment in full 18,000.00 now or they will pursue further action. Currently they reduced the rate from 29.9% to 0%. I have recieved nothing in the mail from this particular law firm or have I recieved anything from Chase regarding payment in full. It has been over 2 weeks since the initial contact from the law firm. Shouldn't I have recieved someting? Also what is my best course of action to handle this. My current score is a 577 and I own my home with about 45,000 in equity. Any help is appreciated.

Yes to what Bam said. Also do not talk to a lawyer or a CA on the phone. If they call again tell them if they want to contact you they MUST do it by mail!!!!!!! It might not even be a lawyer. Do not give them any info. either. I have a chase account and I hate it.

Do you have another CC that you can transfer to?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure it's really a lawyer?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur with the others...I would demand full information in writing. The caller could be an identity thief for all anyone knows.
Message 5 of 7
Pants
Regular Contributor

Start off by not giving the person on the phone any information about the account. Do not give your Social , DOB. You need to contact Chase to veriify if it was charged off.

Depending on what kind of card you have Belive it or not ... Chase is usually one of the better companies to deal with when you have a hardship. Don't be afraid to see if you can work out something with them to avoid a possible charge off.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of 15 CCs my wife and I ended up filing BK on, Chase was the only one to file lawsuits before we filed. It happened when the lates hit 150 days.

I can tell you from personal experience with Chase, you CAN expect a lawsuit IF the call was from....

McClesky, Harriger, Brazill and Graf. LLP
PO Box 6170
Lubbock, TX 79493
(806) 796-7322

Of course, I'm in Texas, and if you live elsewhere they could use a different firm.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.